Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use a cabinet scraper and how the heck do you sharpen one? I need an easy short way to do this on a rectangular scraper.

g-man

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You sharpen a scraper as you do a chisel, pay attention to the angle (bevel). Do not remove the burr as this is what does the cutting.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You hold the scraper flat on your work bench with you left hand (if your right handed) sharpen the edge with the burnishing tool, flip it over do the same thing to the other side.You realy have to wip the heck out of it .. then stand it up in a vice and run your burnishing tool flat across the edge til you can fell the berr with you finger nails when running them up the side. when you fell this your done ..good luck. It is realy easy
Learning Herb

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Just a couple of things to add. One if the edge is chipped or no longer flat you will have to sharpen it. To do that you need to go with the length of the scraper, on either a stone or a file (I like to use the file). This will remove the wire edge. To put the edge back on you need to burnish...... The problem is you want a slight angle to it. The angle is a matter of personal preference. This is why some people spend the money on the tools to get it the way they want.....

When they are right they work great until your hands get like mine and it hurts to use them for very long. Now I save it for special projects. I have seen a "plane" scraper but I haven't tried that. Anyone have one and want to comment?

Ed

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cabinet scraper

Okay I did it but, one instruction sheet I found on the net said to put a 45 degree angle on it. So I did this on a wet wheel and it got razor sharp and I found out that a 45 degree angle would only be on one side. Well it was too late to do it over so I flipped it over and cut another 45 on the other side. I put it in a vise a drew a burr with the flat part of a chisel. I did this a few more times on both edges and got a good hook. It works good. Maybe I'll be daring later and grind the edges flat and start a 15 degree grind so I can draw a burr on all four edges. LIVE AND LEARN!

g-man

1 - 7 of 7 Posts