Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking around here for months and I'll ask the question because the answer to my inquiry has never come up.
Is anyone using AutoCad to prepare their drawings and are any of the CNC software packages accepting those drawings in order to prepare g-codes. My use for a CNC would be woodworking only.
I ask because AC and I have been best friends for more than 20 years and I dread learning another platform.
TIA, Steve

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,783 Posts
Steve,

I use ACAD 2000i for most of my drawings, but haven't had the need (hopefully soon) to convert them to Gcode. A quick google search has a bunch of programs that promise to do the conversion but I have no experience with them.

Great question, I am going to keep my eye on this one!

·
Registered
226 Posts
2D or 3D? I've used all CAD programs from Acad R2.2 to Acad 2012, and Rhino, CATIA, Solidworks, etc. For 3D in jewelry design I used Rhino, exported files as *.stl (stereolithograph), then used DeskProto to convert to the G-code for the 4-axis CNC to mill the master was patterns. Whatever CNC system you're using will dictate the required file formats. I am sure there's a conversion tool out there.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Vectric software will import both .dxf and .dwg AutoCad files.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I don't bother with any other program than Aspire or VCarve Pro as they now have all the tools I need to draw up what I need to cut. They also take care of creating tool paths for the three different brands of CNCs I have access to and use.

4D

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are many software that do this.
For example french Galaad. It is simple 2,5D.
Another one is ProCNCDraw its demo is enough to convert dxf to g-code.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i get what you mean, what i'm doing is for my CNC machine, i use Badog cad/cam software, it's capable to import files from AutoCAD, Solidworks, IDEAS, NX, CorelDraw, Illustrator or any other program that it can export a DXF file from,never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The best software bar none for the average person looking to get into CNC machining is Vectric. If your using a router for wood, or soft substrates using pro CAD/CAM systems to produce components on them is like shooting a squirrel with a 50 caliber rifle.

Do your research on Google on Vectric you won't be disappointed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts