Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our oldest daughter makes cake balls and she had a woman contact her about making cake balls for her wedding. She also wanted them displayed on a three-tier stand so guess who was ask to make the display.

I used birch plywood for the tops and sides of the tiers and select pine for the trim to help keep the cost of materials down. All the hardware is stainless steel so no rust and easy to clean. I did miss taking a few pictures near the end of the project. I guess I was worried about getting it finished and did not think about taking pictures.

I used pocket holes to assemble the tops and sides of the tiers. I used the CNC to drill all the holes in the tops to hold the cake ball sticks. I cut the trim profile on both sides of the trim blanks then cut the trim from the blanks. I made the risers from select pine boards glued up and trimmed square. The pictures do show all of this but there were other parts made and I did not get pictures of them.

I made a support box that goes under the bottom tier that the all thread rod that holds everything together goes through and washer and wingnut clamps against. There is also a block bonded in the top tier that is glued up with a wingnut and washers inside to receive the top of the all thread rod. That block was machined on the CNC so the wingnut and washers could be inserted.

To drill the holes in the 10 1/2" risers I had to use my Shopsmith knockoff and it was buried in the corner of the shop and had not been used for about 8 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I've never heard of cake balls but can imagine they are just as yummy as a standard-shaped cake. My question concerns the purpose of all the drilled holes on the base of each platform. What's up with those?
I believe the decorated cake balls are put on sticks and then stood up in the holes.

Mike -- yur 1 of dem injuneres now 2.

Above us common folk!! lol not

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I guess these would be called cake pops because they will be on small round sticks like lollipops. The holes are for the sticks to hold them. She normally just makes the cake balls, dips them in melted chocolate and sets them aside for the coating to set up.

The ones she FORCED me to eat had been dipped in the wrong flavor of chocolate, a good mistake. :grin:

These are for another order she had this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
WOW what a project Mike, and great pictures too. It took some figuring out to make that all come out like it did. That finish really sets it off too. I hope she got the display stand back to use again, or you are going to have to build some more. Great post.
Herb

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
"...dipped in the wrong flavor of chocolate,"
a) there's more than one?
b) I know people who claim there is no "wrong" (flavor of chocolate that is...not getting into the other possible interpretation)

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"...dipped in the wrong flavor of chocolate,"
a) there's more than one?
b) I know people who claim there is no "wrong" (flavor of chocolate that is...not getting into the other possible interpretation)
Dan she uses melting chocolate and you can buy flavors like chocolate raspberry, chocolate pineapple and others but you can also add your own flavors to the melted chocolate. She also uses white chocolate and flavors and colors it to match the customer's wishes. She also has her seasonal special flavors like the Key Lime and Pina Colada for summer, Pumpkin Spice and new this year, Apple Cider, for Fall. Of course for Christmas there will be Egg Nog, Peppermint and probably a one time flavor or two like Rum Toddy or Caluha and Cream.

Of course I am an official taste tester!:laugh2:

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Well that turned out pretty darn nice. I never heard of cake balls either. But given my choice, I'll take pie, especially apple, any day. Call me if you make a pie ball display.

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Theo, I don't ever remember passing up a good piece of apple pie, for that matter I don't remember ever turning down a bad piece of apple pie either.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Theo, I don't ever remember passing up a good piece of apple pie, for that matter I don't remember ever turning down a bad piece of apple pie either.
Well, learned two things today. There are cake balls, and there are bad apple pies. Never had either.

Reactions: TenGees and MEBCWD
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.