Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My sister-in-law has a new hobby - cake decorating! :grin:

She asked if I would cut her some cake boards on the CNC. Sure. She brought over a piece of 2x2x15/32" CD plywood and asked for four ten inch boards.

By the time she got here, I had already drawn the project in VCarve Pro. Four is all I could get out of the board. I had asked if I could drill a hole in the center of each one and she said "yes". So, I have two files. The first one I run drills the hole in each board. Then a screw is driven through each one into the spoil board to anchor it. The second file cuts out the boards. Worked like a charm. I used a 1/8th inch spiral upcut bit and placed the boards with the better side down. The result was a clean cut. A little sanding with some 220 on the ROS to knock off the edges and smooth out the ply a little and my job was finished.

Then later that evening, I discovered a piece of the same plywood in my off-cut bin. HMMM...after a few clicks of the mouse, and some fast cuts on the machine, she now has two eleven inchers and a pair of 8 inchers to go along with her original request of four tens. :smile:

I may get a cupcake or three out of this deal. :surprise::grin::grin::grin: I think I will like her new hobby. :smile:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do these rotate for frosting purposes? Can you send out cupcake care packages?
Not rotating. I think she will put down wax paper or whatever she is using and place the cake on it. Lazy Susan hardware is fairly cheep so she could do that. I will ask when she picks them up. We had a busy day today going in different directions so no pickup today...and no cupcake for me!:frown:

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She came by and picked up the boards, and dropped off these tasty morcels. Said she needed the boards because she is working on a big cake for her portfolio and when she is finished, she will be divvying it up amongst us kinfolks. :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Mike,

You can't have any. Remember, you have to watch your sugar!!!

Reactions: MT Stringer
1 - 10 of 10 Posts