Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to the CNC world, I am in CNC kindergarden.

I am using an older laptop with windows 7. The company I purchased my CNC front suggested Universal G Code Sender. It is not compatible, I then used Vtransfer from my CAD software vender, Vectric. It did not go back to “Z” for a tool change. i had to close out and re home everything for the next tool hoping everything would match up.

I downloaded and tried Mach 3, when I opened the program, my computer shut down. It was not compatible either.

I then downloaded another CAM program called, Source Rabbit. It would not home the machine, and did not use all of my work surface. I dug around in the software to try and change the work area size, but was not successful.

My question is, can anybody recommend a CAM program that has a homing sequence, goes back to set “0” for a tool change and reset “Z”?

The laptop I am using is clean, and runs good, operating system is Windows 7, 32bit.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Universal g-code sender and vtransfer are designed to connect to a cnc running GRBL. They are not CAM programs. Mach3 is a CNC controller program for a CNC that must be specifically set up to run Mach3. It also is not a CAM program.

A CAM program is what you use to take a design file, and create toolpaths, and then export g-code specific to the CNC you have by using the correct post processor.

Homing and zeroing are functions of the CNC controller, not CAM program. Your CAM should be able to be configured to send the bit back to X0Y0 and Z to a specified safe height at the end of the carve.

You need to understand what program is controlling your CNC and what functions it has.

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
Karen here is a link to Bob's customer service

https://www.bobscnc.com/pages/contact-us

I would call and explain that your computer is a 32bit Windows 7 operation system. and explain the problems you are having. You might need an older version of UGS and drivers.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I didn't pick up on this earlier but UGS makes me think you are running a GRBL based system. In which case, your tool changes won't work because GRBL doesn't support it. Best bet is to create separate jobs (ie, files) for each tool and don't power down the machine or zero X and/or Y between jobs so you maintain the X and Y positions. So, your process is:
  1. set up machine
  2. mount workpiece
  3. zero X,Y,Z
  4. run first tool job
  5. jog machine to a convenient location and change the tool
  6. re-zero Z
  7. run next tool job
  8. repeat 5-7 as needed

Understand that homing is not really a function of the sender. It's built into GRBL - you can initiate it by sending "$H" in the console with any gcode sender. You don't want to home the machine for a tool change. I just jog the machine to a convenient location. Homing really should just be something you do when you first turn on the machine (or power cycle it because of an E-Stop).

There are lots of senders out there. I use GRBL Panel and I'm pretty sure it runs on Win7. There's a new one coming that I like a lot - Terje's GCode sender.. It's in Alpha release now but pretty stable. I'm testing it against the new ARM based GRBL port and it's getting close to ready for prime time. It supports Vectric direct transfer (though I haven't tested it). Ran a 7 1/2 hour test overnight and it ran correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.