Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My name is Tony and I'm a newbie to the woodworking hobby. I've been a machinist for 30 years and it's gonna be interesting to work in something other than tool steel. I've built drag race cars and rebuilt motorcycles but, my experience with wood has been as fire, to keep the family warm.
I joined this forum to learn what size are standard so, I can make my own tools were possible. It should make it fun for me to work in both steel and wood to accomplish my first project, of garage cabinets.
Thanks for letting me snoop around.
Tony.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Tony

Come on in the water fine and it's good place to learn how to make firewood :) :)

Sent off for the video below and I'm sure it will charge your battery up and give you a great starting point , the video will show you how to make garage cabinets quick and easy and I'm sure you will say I didn't know it was that easy,it is if you do it the right way from the getgo :) :)

Marc Sommerfeld makes it easy,once you view the video you will say I can make them in a weekend or so,he will give you the video free (VHS) if you buy the router bits from him.
http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/item.asp?n=dvd4&d=118&b=1
http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/list.asp?d=118&p=1

Bj :)

·
Banned
666 Posts
Hi Tony
It is always great to welcome a new member to the forum especially when you have other skills that we do not have.
With your skills you are in a fine position to produce the template guides that will introduce a great number of interesting projects you can make.
The template guides have been negleted and left in a drawer and seldom used especially the larger guides. As the name implies I use the template guides every time I introduce a new project. I have made many postings to the forum with pics. Enjoy your woodworking more by learning how the guides are used
Tom

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums Tony. 30 years of steel! Wood is a lot more forgiving, and no hot chips to mess with. Glad to have your experience join us.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Tony, This is a very friendly place full of hobbyists. We all have varying degrees of experience and amount of tools, etc. You will soon learn that the router is the most versatile tool in the shop. If you get a chance, catch Bob and Rick's show on PBS or the Woodworking Channel here on the 'net. Woodworking is fun and rewarding. Welcome. -Derek

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Tony, I am going to help you with the biggest stumbling block new woodworkers have. This is not metal, it is wood. Wood moves with changes in temperature and moisture, some times in ways you could never imagine. Do not approach this as you would metal. Keep things simple, or as Bob and Rick would tell you: "Simple is better." If you need more than one part the same size and shape, try to use stop blocks for cutting the wood, build a template or jig for cutting so the shapes are consistant. If you try to "one off" each piece you will have the headaches of a lifetime. High precision adjusters that calibrate to .001" are overkill. If a mosquito breaks wind it can change the temp and humidity enough for the wood to move.
I always suggest building your own router table as a first project. Excellent plans are available from Oak Park for the Router Workshop table, and ShopNotes. If you have never seen the Router Workshop on PBS you can view it here: www.thewoodworkingchannel.com
http://www2.oak-park.com/
www.shopnotes.com

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum. As in working with metal, woodworking can be totally exasperating as well as rewarding and the guys here can help with the exasperating part. So if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask here. The only dumb question is the one not asked. Above all HAVE FUN! :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Tony, welcome to the forum, where the conversation is good, the information is great, and you'll have a laugh or two along the way.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,943 Posts
Woodwork AND metalwork

Welcome to the forum Tony, I'm a relative newcomer here as well and it's nice to know that we have a professional metalworker in our midst. Concurrent with wood I have been working with metal for many years but am almost fully self taught so it could be nice to throw in the occasional metal work question as I'm sure that lots of members of the forum have similar dual hobbies. I attach a photo of my modest metalworking set-up but am somewhat ashamed that on the day of the photo I had omitted the cover the lathe and milling machine. Harry in Western Australia

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts