Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have an Amana Tool RC-2251 Spoilboard Insert Surfacing & Rabbeting Flycutter 2+2 Flute Design 2-1/2 D x 1/2 CH x 1/2 SHK Router Bit that I used to use on a ShopBot CNC and I am wondering if I can use it to edge joint hardwoods on my router table?
I am very new to using an actual router and just picked up my first router table and router so I'm still figuring out what I can and can't do with it.
I tried using a straight edge bit with offset outfeed fence but it isn't working well for me since I can't shim the outfeed fence easily and I remembered I had this stupidly expensive Amana bit and wondered if I could use that. Since it will be for edge jointing and I won't be doing anything wider that 1-1 1/2 inches the size is great.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
G'day Ryan, welcome to the forum.

I doubt you could use that cutter to edge joint timber. It is designed to flatten boards, IMO.

You will need a straight cutter and make an offset fence for the table.

A piece of laminex/formica type material double stick taped to the out feed fence should suffice.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Dated thread I realize, but using a 1/2"d spiral upcut endmill in a router table with fence sides that can be offset is a quick way to set up for edge jointing relatively short boards. The usually small size of a router table top discourages trying to edge joint long boards on one. I've done this several times for students who hadn't yet realized the logical sequence of processes recommended for breaking down a long rough board into short project parts.
4D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts