Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father found this wood a few years ago from a tree that had been cut down by the city. He says it’s very hard but doesn’t smell like oak. Please see pics one is if the wood grain of a piece he milled and another shows another piece not yet milled with bark- help is appreciated greatly!

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum
It looks like red oak to me also

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,031 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello good Morning. This tree is typical of South America, and is easily found in Brazil. Its veins and its light brown color are characteristic of the jatoba tree. Its shell is also identical to Jatobá. Jatobá is a word in Portuguese that does not have an accurate English translation. The characteristics of this wood are: With a rating of 2,820 on the Janka scale, it is a tree of hard and dense wood, which makes the use of hand tools difficult. It may be brown, yellow or salmon pink when slaughtered. Because it becomes reddish with time and the sun, it is popularly used in the manufacture of floors, cabinets and furniture. Here I have a lot of this wood. It is considered a noble wood and it looks more beautiful when it is attacked by fungi. The fungi leave it in the shape of stunned wood. Sorry for a translation error. This text was translated by google translator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
See some of my work here in Brazil. All the woods that are in light brown color were made with this jatoba wood. This wood that is the same as yours, when well sanded and waxed, greatly enhances her designs.

Wood Interior design Shelving Display case Hardwood

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am thinking it is a Norway Maple as I have several on my property in Upstate NY and they all have that deep grove bark on them.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,031 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Mila

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Mila
Dear Old55, Thank you for your reception and hospitality.
You Australians are very gentleman.
Sorry for any translation error. I always write polite, kind and complimentary words. Some translation from Portuguese may be altered or meaningless. The translation was done by the google translator.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My father found this wood a few years ago from a tree that had been cut down by the city. He says it’s very hard but doesn’t smell like oak. Please see pics one is if the wood grain of a piece he milled and another shows another piece not yet milled with bark- help is appreciated greatly! View attachment 398120
View attachment 398121
Looks like Butternut to me. Did it have compound leaves? Does it get fuzzy when you try to sand it? Butternut is pretty soft, easily dented with the fingernail and carved with a knife.

Art Schmitt

·
Registered
185 Posts
My father found this wood a few years ago from a tree that had been cut down by the city. He says it’s very hard but doesn’t smell like oak. Please see pics one is if the wood grain of a piece he milled and another shows another piece not yet milled with bark- help is appreciated greatly! View attachment 398120
View attachment 398121
It reminds me of ash. I once
Chair Rectangle Natural material Wood Table
made a table from ash; see attached photo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
View attachment 398121
View attachment 398121
Looks like Hickory. Hickory is very hard,

1 - 20 of 29 Posts