Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new CNC is running perfectly but I don't want to run back and forth to the computer to jog the machine. I bought a Windows (ugh, I'm a MAC guy) game controller and for the best of me, I cannot figure out how to get it to interface with the Mach 4 software. Windows recognizes the controller, but I don't know how to make it communicate with Mach 4. There are several plugins at Mach 4's website, but most are for Mach 3 and very little information on them.

My only complaint with Mach 4 is that they just assume that you know how to do everything. There needs to be a "Dummies" type instruction for folks like me!

·
Super Moderator
David
3,578 Posts
When I built my CNC 4 years ago I tried a game controller and ran into scripting issues. But I was trying to get the CNC up and running so I just set the controller aside and that's where it is today - waiting on me. I figured I would wait until someone figured it out and then see about adding it to the mix but maybe it's still an issue, not sure...

David

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use Mach4. There are 2 options.

1. Vista CNC. It works and is reliable. I have it and use it. It costs too much, but they pretty much have a lock on the market. I have the P2-S model.

2. Shuttle Pro by Contour Design. Mach4 comes with a plugin for it. I bought one, used it for awhile, didn't like it, and bought a Vista Pendant. The shuttle pro is not designed to be held. I believe it was designed for audio and/or video editing. For me, having it laying around wasn't a good option. On the plus side, it had some programmable buttons. For some, that would be great. For me, not so much. Being awkward and uncomfortable to hold ended up being a deal breaker. Had I know then what I know now, I would have passed on it and gone straight to the Vista CNC model and saved myself a C-note.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The important thing to remember when choosing one of these wireless keypads is to make sure it has the page-up and page-down buttons as well as the 4 arrow keys, they jog your Z-axis.

Reactions: difalkner and TimPa
1 - 7 of 7 Posts