Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck type tool boxes, that is. No vans allowed! :surprise:

Here's the situation. Our daughter/husband is in the process of purchasing a home just north of Tulsa, Ok. He got a promotion and needs to be closer to the plant than 45 miles away.

Come live with us, they said. :smile: Or, come visit and work on the house, they said. :grin:

So, we are thinking somewhere around Feb or March we will be going for a visit, which may end up being an extended stay.

They have already said they need doors in the house. Probably barn style doors. The home was custom built by the owner and looks really nice. But most of the rooms are connected with arched door ways and no doors!

Okay, enough of that. I have a Chevy 4 door 2009 with the short bed and no camper/tonneau or anything like that. What's a guy to do? No doubt, I would like to take a good supply of my tools to have on hand.

Probably take the DeWalt portable saw, nailers, hand tools, drill/drivers, track saw and who knows what else.

I have been watching YouTube videos on DIY truck bed storage ideas and like some of them.

So, what do you use? Your thoughts and advice appreciated.

I especially like this one.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,788 Posts
That's a slick solution for a short bed truck, I can't stand seeing the short bed trucks with across the bed tool boxes. There is no usable bed space left!

I use big Rubbermaid totes and tool bags, but there is no security there. I usually don't have to worry about long trips, I do put a tarp over the box when worried about rain (or people peeking into the bed)

If I had to, I think a tonneau cover would be the way to go for security purposes

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Do they make cab hi canopys for you truck? I always had a canopy with a lockable rear door and put a shelf across behind the window at bed sides height to set boxes of tools .this gave me full bed area to slide in lumber and long stuff between the wheel wells, Also built boxes front and aft and over the wheel wells. Everything was removable for convenience.

Herb

·
Registered
Theo
6,941 Posts
My first choice would be a standup camper shell. Second choice cab high camper shell. Lockable, of course. Then you could customize the interior as you desire. And if you don't get to customizing the interior as soon as you want, you stuff will at least be protected from rain. Also nice to be able to get out of the rain/snow if necessary. Could even camp in one if desired - altho I would want a standup model for that.

Alternately, you could get a small enclosed trailer. I've always wondered why more contractors don't use them, because if their truck has to go in the shop for a few days, they're pretty much at a standstill. With a trailer, you could always rent something to pull it, if nothing else. A lot of people convert those trailers to campers also; I want a camper, but don't want a trailer - mostly because if I have to go, I don't want to have to go outside to get to the loo,
especially if it's raining. The guy that reroofed my house several years ago had all his stuff in a trailer. Took two days, and he left the trailer and a helper, while he did something else. Hard to do that with your tools in a truck. But, your call.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
Mike , people sure expect a lot from you . You've gotta be the nicest guy on the planet , I swear .
I'd be searching for a cheap utility trailer to tow behind you , but an enclosed one would be better suited for your needs . I think your going to surprised at how much room you don't have once you start loading up with all the other essential things your going to need .
I bought a trailer and swear it's one of the best investments I've made in a long time .
Well other than everyone and has brother wants to borrow it all the time

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Yup; trailers have really caught on with our local trades guys. Way more space and security, and you can leave your guys on the jobsite with the tools/materials while you go elsewhere.
Excellent for carrying ladders on top of as a bonus.
I've noticed some guys have bought 'The Boot' for added security.
Home - Universal Boot

·
Registered
226 Posts
My solution would be to give a shopping list to the son inlaw and let him buy for himself what ever tools you will need.
He will need them in the future to maintain his new home and he could learn how to use them with you.
Kinda of the teach a man to fish but let him buy his own equipment.

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
My solution would be to give a shopping list to the son inlaw and let him buy for himself what ever tools you will need.
He will need them in the future to maintain his new home and he could learn how to use them with you.
Kinda of the teach a man to fish but let him buy his own equipment.
Best answer so far :laugh2:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Go with the trailer. More room and flexible for shelving, racks, etc. Security is important if the truck is left outside. I was checking out of a motel a few years ago. Police was investigating a break-in at a pickup truck. Felt sorry for the guy. He was in construction. Thieves broke the sliding window, got in the cab and stole about $700 worth of tools. I imagine the guy had to make a stop somewhere to get new tools and hope his insurance paid for most of it.
I have a good friend who is a ferrier (shoes horses) and he has a trailer for backup to his work truck. Shop on wheels!
Good of them to ask you to help. We do a lot for our kids and even more for the grand-kids. Visited Tulsa three years ago- ask me if it was hot. Yes, it was real hot. Go to Bartlesville about an hour north of Tulsa and visit the Phillips Museum, family that struck it rich in oil. Interesting. There is a safe that holds about 40,000 patents for the Phillips company. Also, visit the Phillips home. Nice but not outlandish like you would think an oil millionaire were have. Oh yes, there is a park with the first oil well in the area.

·
Registered
365 Posts
have a topper on my pickup with side opening windows so can reach in for any side and the rear. The windows are tinted so not as easy to see in. I had a short box 2008 Chevy like you have but sure can get a lot more into the 6 1/2 " box on the pickup I now have just like the pickup in shown you had attached. You may have a hard time getting anything tall in with the box the way he has on the bottom but would work with a topper and my topper will lock the tailgate also.
Allen

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I have made at least one decision. I ordered the Tonno Pro folding tonneau cover that fits my truck. Dang Amazon pricing was driving me crazy. $176 on Cyber Monday... then up to $229 overnight. then yesterday evening, it was down to $178. BOOM! I bought it. :surprise: I guess their marketing strategy worked.

If you check the picture, you will see that today it is up to $191!

Regardless, it will be here by Friday. Then I can give some serious thought as to how or what to build for the drawers.

Actually, I am thinking about building a new workbench after the holidays. So, why not build a top that will fit in the truck...say a 36 x 48 inch
with three pull out trays. That won't use up all of the room and I will still have room for anything taller that won't fit in the trays. :smile:

Who knows. Tomorrow may bring new ideas. My thinker is always at work! :surprise::grin:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts