Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ryobi 163 router. While attempting to fix a problem with the collet (depth too short), I removed the motor. When I was trying to put the motor back in, I inadvertently rotated it to the wrong position. (I misinterpreted the position of the arrow on the rotor body.) Now I can only get it partway back out. it seems limited by something solid when I get it just far in enough to line up the arrow on the motor with top of the frame surrounding the depth adjuster. Is there any hope to rescue this otherwise fine router, or do I just have to buy a new one?

Paul

·
Registered
Paul
2,143 Posts
Paul, I'm not familiar with that particular router. Just some thoughts: Usually when you align the arrow, you are aligning a pin on the inside of the base with a groove in the motor. Did you try loosening the lock lever adjustment screw? The manual indicates that the spindle lock has something to do with removing and installing the motor. Page 6 and 7 of the manual (on this site) discuss this. I guess the spindle lock lever may hit on something as the base is removed or installed.

If you buy a new one, you can recycle the old one by sending it to me. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can't get tab into keyway

I do have the relevant pages of the manual and they seem to show all the relevant mechanisms.

The task was made more difficult because the router was mounted in a router table and also had a dust collecting cup installed. But I've removed all that and I'm now down to the basic router, nothing else attached. I've also removed all the tension on the lock lever, so it appears that the only thing that's preventing me from removing the motor from the base is the tension within the base itself. After a lot of fiddling I've gotten to the point where the arrow on the motor is within half an inch of the keyway where it belongs.

But that damned tab on the motor -- perhaps 1/32" thick -- butts up against the frame of the base. If I could relieve the tension within that frame, I could rotate the motor to align the arrow with the keyway and I'd be home free. Bur it seems to be pretty solid metal, and I've freed up all the locking levers that I can locate.

So near and yet so far.

And I appreciate the advice I've gottten so far.

·
Registered
Paul
2,143 Posts
I would remove the lock lever screw completely. Then try to slide the motor out. Turning the motor in place could possibly damage the groove. The spindle lock button needs to be held in (as if you want to remove a bit) or the motor won't come out of the base (I think, from looking at the manual). If absolutely necessary I would gently and slightly pry the slot under the lock lever to loosen the base's hold on the motor, you don't want to distort the base. Maybe a flat screwdriver tapped a bit into that crack would work. If you get it out, you may have to file or sandpaper any damage on the motor or the inside of the base. Fixing the groove would be very hard, that's why I wouldn't try to turn the motor onto the pin. Whereas a scratch on the motor elsewhere could more easily be cleaned up.

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did notice that there's about two screw threads worth of play in the adjustment. I don't remember if it was always that way. it shouldn't be a problem since I can just play with the zero point. But is that normal?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.