Router Forums banner

Can't Loosen Collet Nut

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  roxanne562001 
#1 ·
hey guys thanks for creating this awesome site I have been reading many threads about the problem I am facing with my Ryobi r181fb1 router. I am trying to loosen the collet nut but it is not budging.

I have tried tapping on it and also using some pb blaster spray, but its still really stuck.

I'm not really sure how to hold the shaft from turning so I can loosen the nut maybe that is the problem? I really dont want to put in my vice to stop the shaft from turning.

Other routers use 2 wrenches but I can't figure out where the 2nd wrench would go.

thank you for any help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the router forum
I believe that particular router has a button to you push. Hold button in, it holds the Armature Turn armature till it locks into a slot hold the button and then use your wrench to loosen the nut

Reactions: sreilly
#4 ·
If the above doesn't solve the problem note that sometimes collets loosen a bit, then retighten. You then need to use the wrench again to loosen it. If you put cleaner or lubricant into the collet, you need to clean it thoroughly. You don't want a bit turning at 20,000 rpm to fly out.

#6 ·
thank you so much for the help, you guys were exactly right! I put the router back together turned it downwards about halfway right before the pin could be released and put my 15 wrench in and it came out nicely!

the image I took was after I loosened it, if someone reading this is trying to do the same thing just make sure you raise it so that pin is depressed so the cylinder cannot spin.

thank you for the advice about cleaning it after the lub, I will 100% do that and completely understand you.

Also I learned about these guide blocks, they are the black ones in the images below. They are put in the gold looking boxes that have springs that push them towards the cylinder. I was messing with them trying to figure out how to balance them so I can put the shaft back inside, and I realized I'm an idiot, put the shaft in first! then press these gold blocks holding the black blocks in there!

#9 ·
Those "guide blocks" are the brushes. Those deliver electricity to the armature. If they are damaged badly, they should be replaced or it will affect the performance of the motor. Although they're probably cheap to buy, I'd sort out that roughness first before spending money though. The brush in the photo looks quite chipped. Running that could burn the commutator.

#10 ·
The brushes as you called "guide blocks" and the commutator on the amature second photo down look pretty rough. The commutator and brushes needs to be fairly smooth. You may find that it may not be worth it. Brushes are cheap but if you have to get the commutator turned it can get pricey they should look clean and bright otherwise the motor will not run properly.

If you take the armature to a motor shop sometimes a automotive machine shop Like some NAPA stores can turn them the are basically the same as the starter in your car. they can give you a quote for turning the commutator. But you may find it is just cheaper to buy a new router. Hope that helps you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.