Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
Marcelo - this is where photos, sketches and drawings can help us help you the most.
a cross section drawing of the cap rail with measurements would be fantastic.
and - photos of your boat. (and how big is it ?).

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
this is a fairly easy project, if you follow the suggestions above.
we are assuming you have a bandsaw, table saw and a router table ?
Rectangle Line Font Pattern Parallel

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
one minor alteration worth considering wound be to make the outside edges flat vs rounded over. Then the top corner could be easily rounded over with the hand router with minimal effort. The inside edge also could be altered a little if you were flexible in not keeping the bull-nose rounded edge. That is more difficult because of the inside radius. making a couple of "prototypes" out of soft pine and study the methods that you will have to use for the final project with your available tools. (your call).
Rectangle Line Font Parallel Pattern

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
(and as Lt. Columbo says - oh wait, there is one more thing).
my experience with double fixtures put together like in this photo, the "engineers" that assemble the two pieces together in the plant don't always get the same exact dimensions throughout the project. so don't get frustrated when the cap rail doesn't fit exactly. Just be prepared to make "adjustments" as you go along.
please keep us in the loop with some photos as you go along.
Rectangle Line Font Parallel Pattern

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
you can tell by the grain of the existing wood if it was steam bent or cut from the board to the shape needed.
if I have to work around obstacles, I would use a long sheet of paper to make a paper template then transfer that to the wood. tape or glue copy paper together to make the length you need. whatever it takes. the heavier the paper, the easier it is to work with: brown craft paper, cardboard, etc.
Edit:
looking at your photo, I would tape some cardboard together to get the profile accurate.
removing all the obstacles is not the best option.
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
I've done it both ways for years - and many projects. I guess it just depends on the project at hand and what you're comfortable with. All in all, I use the template on top with a top bearing bit and often times, the project is on a sheet of 1" thick sacrificial styrofoam where the bit goes into the foam. All kinds of ways to get the skin off that ornery old cat !!

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
there were enough differences between the sides to necessitate new templates. The boat is not perfectly symmetrical!.
dude !! you have a BOAT !!! there is NOTHING square or symmetrical about any of them !
I'm pretty sure that the Marine Designers actually build this phenonium into the blueprints. (Lofting).
and again, you did an excellent job with what you had to work with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts