1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Worked for me . I didn't know there was such a thing as a V16

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
That was most interesting! Thanks! My parents almost bought a '62 Chevy Impala convertible- red with red and white interior and white top. Definitely not the 409 V-8, though. I think they were looking at the 327- 300 HP. I recall reading that there were a number of car manufacturers in the US at the turn of the 20th century but only the Big Three survived with a couple hanging on like American Motors Studebaker, and Packard. My grandfather had a light blue '50 Packard; traded for a '55 Ford.

Abbreviations for cars and manufacturers, a humorous trivia, depending on your preference or disdain for them. These are three that I recall.
GTO- Get'cher Tools Out; Going To Ohio (during the 60's when a lot of people from eastern KY and WV went to OH to work in the factories).
FORD- Found On Road Dead; First On Race Day.
GMC- Garage Man's Companion.

Bumper sticker: If Rolls-Royce is such a good car, why don't you see more of them on the road?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thanks...
FORD... frocked over repaired Dodge...
GMC.. general mess of crap...

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Does anyone know what the most powerful V8 was in a domestic car in 73 ? This is when the govermemt lied to us and said there was a gas shortage and all the manufactures started making gutless engines

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
426 Hemi...
teak them to over 1,000HP...
mine is rated at 1286 shaft w/o turning on the NO...

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a long time Ford owner I always preferred Fix Or Repair Daily. Or flip the F and the D and you have DORF.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Gotta love it! I cringe when I watch the auto auctions- cars that went for under $3K now welling over $100K. I've had cars, if I kept them, could sell them and retired year ago. I remember seeing a 1950 Ford in an old gas station. The fellow bought it, paid it off, and was going to sell it for the base for his retirement.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
426 Hemi...
teak them to over 1,000HP...
mine is rated at 1286 shaft w/o turning on the NO...
No they didn't offer the 426 Hemi in 73 . I was a 455 SD TransAm . Pontiac derated the engines HP rating so it would pass , buy it actually close to 500 HP . A lot of HP in 73

·
Official Greeter
18,742 Posts
FORD == Found On Rubbish Dump....

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
No they didn't offer the 426 Hemi in 73 . I was a 455 SD TransAm . Pontiac derated the engines HP rating so it would pass , buy it actually close to 500 HP . A lot of HP in 73
your right about the hemi, but you might wanna check your figures on the SD... factory rated at 290, (post standardized SAE HP guidelines) so you could add maybe, MAYBE another 10-20% but 500? I dunno bout dat :) I spent ALOT of time under ALOT hoods during the 70's, 80's and early 90's.I don't recall those kind of numbers on a factory TA/FB...and I was a big TA/FB fan..

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
your right about the hemi, but you might wanna check your figures on the SD... factory rated at 290, (post standardized SAE HP guidelines) so you could add maybe, MAYBE another 10-20% but 500? I dunno bout dat :) I spent ALOT of time under ALOT hoods during the 70's, 80's and early 90's.I don't recall those kind of numbers on a factory TA/FB...and I was a big TA/FB fan..
Well this one will suprize you. Ya they neglected to mention 290 hp just above idle lol .
Bill I know many people in TransAm circles ,some from the very plant where they were made , and the claims in this video are more than valid .

Check it around 2:50

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLKthXA4CMU

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Found On Rednecks Driveway...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Well this one will suprize you. Ya they neglected to mention 290 hp just above idle lol .
Bill I know many people in TransAm circles ,some from the very plant where they were made , and the claims in this video are more than valid .

Check it around 2:50

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLKthXA4CMU
can't watch in US... Can't say I know guys in TA circles, but I can say I knew the industry pretty well.. I seriously doubt 500 hp, but that is based on my experiences and background only. If she did exist I can't believe I never heard it...but hey anything is possible..

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
can't watch in US... Can't say I know guys in TA circles, but I can say I knew the industry pretty well.. I seriously doubt 500 hp, but that is based on my experiences and background only. If she did exist I can't believe I never heard it...but hey anything is possible..
I believe it was between 400 and 500 . Gotta phone Ohio and get the right answer

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Since we are talking car trivia--

Growing up I used to go over to my neighbors, change out his 426 hemi's (he had 2) and help him bolt on parts. It had that cross-ram with 2 x 4 barrels.

In high school, Me and my neighbor built his car-- '68 Firebird w/ '73 455 SD, 2 x Holly 750's on a tunnel ram, in-port Nitrous Injection. It just downright roared and was terrifyingly, sink you into the seat, mass HP. That Firebird could even fry the tires romping it at 55mph! Too much weigh in the front-end to turn (a straight-line car). Mine was a '65 Mustang 2+2 fastback, 289 HP with a Pony package. Mine screamed and handled.

But in '80 I broke-out in the semi-finals (Eliminator) in the NHRA World Finals-- With a '72 Pinto station wagon with a 64-1/2 289 Shelby track block. Temperatures dropped and I broke my dial-in time by 0.04 of a second. Why fast? Favorable HP per pound ratio... All the way to that point, my crew said the announcer kept saying: "Look at that Vega go!" <-- We thought that was funny. Later swapped that for a Boss 302, cobra cross-ram with 2 x 1200 cfm autolite-weber inline 4 barrels.

I raced Fords, because (at the time) they were underdogs. No-one else expected that.

The year before, a motor our speed shop (Joe Bonner's Place) built set an NHRA world record- running a Ford Boss 428 Hemi.

I was on a crew for NASCAR Northwest Superstock: 80 Granada, '67 427 medium-riser. We had to run more weight per cubic-inch as a handy-cap, but we got to put the weigh where we wanted to. My friend, that was also on that crew, was one of the people who created the Sunbeam Tiger... Later the Shelby AC Cobra's... then the 427 Cobras... and he was Carol Shelby's dyno man. I didn't know until then, that with each Shelby made, the motors where tuned on the dyno and each had it's own tuneup spec's based on that.

Trivia on the Shelby 427 Cobras. They had to widen the car for the motor. The body was aluminum. 0-60mph in 3.7 seconds. <-- because of that (being overpowered with no weight) there was a lot of wrecks, so Shelby required new owners to take a high performance driving lesson. Carol built one for Bill Cosby. His driving lesson scared the ___ out of him and he returned it. (made on album describing that experience, "200 MPH".) There was only one built with an automatic transmission.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts