Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A simple jig for filing a straight or curved card scraper at 90 degrees. By holding the diamond paddle or file into the pocket as you slide it end to end... you can easily shape your card scraper edge to 90 degrees.

This can be easily modified to accommodate French curve type scrapers also.

It is just a block 1"x 1-1/2"x 3" with a narrow saw kerf to allow the card scraper to peek through for filing or honing.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,688 Posts
Nice. Simple and quick to make. Set the blade height to allow only a bit above the slot so the file or diamond card is at 90 to the blade. Filing a french curve card flat is pretty much a freehand deal on the small, tight radius end.

For straight cards, I have and really like using the Veritas card sharpener. You can dial in the angle to the desired angle as well as 90 degrees for flattening.

You can also buy card holders that hold that required slight curve. Easier on the old finger joints.

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Burnisher

Nice. Simple and quick to make. Set the blade height to allow only a bit above the slot so the file or diamond card is at 90 to the blade. Filing a french curve card flat is pretty much a freehand deal on the small, tight radius end.

For straight cards, I have and really like using the Veritas card sharpener. You can dial in the angle to the desired angle as well as 90 degrees for flattening.

You can also buy card holders that hold that required slight curve. Easier on the old finger joints.
I wanted to point out that the Veritas tool you describe is not for milling the square edge onto the scraper. It is for rolling the hook onto the milled edge. It looks like it is very effective for burnishing a precise hook angle, from 0 to 15 degrees. It also looks like it can also work on creating the hook onto a curved scraper as I have drawn in my jig setup. My jig can be modified with a saw kerf cuts into the block of wood at an angle, which would use a round file to shape an inside curve to mill the card scraper... but the burnishing will still have to be done by hand to create the hook.

The reason I presented this idea, was to stimulate thought for shaping a contoured scraper at 90 degrees by using a draw file method, without much expense.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,688 Posts
Veritas also makes a gadget for flattening using a file clamped into a holder. It has a reference edge to make sure the edge is 90 to the side. I can see that what you've made is a really nice alternative and basically free. Thanks for your pdf, I hadn't seen it. Here's one on the flattener from Veritas. These are pretty much the price level I can afford these days on Veritas tools.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.