Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking some of us have some "basal joint arthritis" and probably can't swing a sheet around like a toy like we used to.

More and more I'm having a hard time squeezing the top of a 3/4" panel and hauling it off the truck and into the shop...

A long time ago I started using these and moving into the new house reminded me that my thumbs hurt a bit more...out came the little helpers you see below. Lots of uses besides carrying sheet goods...use your imagination.

Maybe you have these already and maybe you've made up something for yourself to help...and maybe these could be helpful...

For the price, ya can't beat 'em...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-Panel-Carry-Orange-93-300K/202262083

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Mine is the aluminum one like this. s-l640.jpg
But, nowadays, even with the carrier, a sheet of 3/4" or, even 1/2" drywall is too much for these old joints. :crying:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I'm thinking some of us have some "basal joint arthritis" and probably can't swing a sheet around like a toy like we used to.

More and more I'm having a hard time squeezing the top of a 3/4" panel and hauling it off the truck and into the shop...

A long time ago I started using these and moving into the new house reminded me that my thumbs hurt a bit more...out came the little helpers you see below. Lots of uses besides carrying sheet goods...use your imagination.

Maybe you have these already and maybe you've made up something for yourself to help...and maybe these could be helpful...

For the price, ya can't beat 'em...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-Panel-Carry-Orange-93-300K/202262083
plan ''B''....

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: Stick486

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
3,509 Posts
Here's another vote for the Gator Lift. I got one a couple of years ago to carry the 5x5 BB sheets I buy for Longworth chucks and these things are great. And, as was said, you don't have to lift the sheet onto a carrier.

Gator Lift.jpg

David

·
Registered
834 Posts
Sandra and I have an unspoken deal. I don't buy her dresses and she doesn't buy me tools. (unless I leave her several hints around the house).
She does once in a while bring something home and tell me that she is sure that I need this.
Like the plastic folding saw horses she bought me ten years ago.
AS soon as I seen them, I told her that I could build a set better then those.
( I have been using them for the last ten years). They are great
Then she brought home that plastic device that you showed on your thread.
I hung that up in the garage thinking that I don't need that thing. I can carry sheets of plywood or sheet rock all day long.
Well, those days are long gone.
I use that device even when moving sheet goods around the shop.
But, I still don't buy her dresses.
Boots yes, dresses, no.

·
Registered
18,988 Posts
I worked out a method that really works for me.

When I buy sheet goods, I have some strapping young employee load them onto three 2x4 supports on top of my truck bed. Then I back the truck up to where I cut the sheets down and pull them onto some saw horses, so I never wind up actually lifting them anymore.

As a kid, I did a lot of backstage work, and you quickly learn to move unreasonably awkward and heavy pieces by using their own momentum and weight rather than muscle power.

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
I took the upper half of an old lawn mower handle and bent the ends where it bolted onto the lower half into hooks. Works like a charm. It packs a sheet of 3/4" mdf no problem. I used to be able to grab them and do it by hand. I found out a month ago my left shoulder needs replacing and the right probably isn't too far behind it which explains why I can't hoist them by hand anymore but with my home made device I can still manage.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I had one of these,that I made. It had a HD door hinge in the middle to allow the sides to clamp against the Door,Panel Sheet,Etc.
Herb
ahhhhh......
the smart one...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had one of these,that I made. It had a HD door hinge in the middle to allow the sides to clamp against the Door,Panel Sheet,Etc.
Herb

Now that's ingenious...who'da thunk...

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Just hire a couple of the local football team. They'll put them wherever you want them, and then leave when the job is done, so you don't have to worry about where to store them.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I worked out a method that really works for me.

When I buy sheet goods, I have some strapping young employee load them onto three 2x4 supports on top of my truck bed. Then I back the truck up to where I cut the sheets down and pull them onto some saw horses, so I never wind up actually lifting them anymore.

As a kid, I did a lot of backstage work, and you quickly learn to move unreasonably awkward and heavy pieces by using their own momentum and weight rather than muscle power.
Yes. that is exactly what I do - track saw to the rescue. The additional advantage here is you don't have to later muscle them to saw horses for cutting up.

The only down side is you need to know what you are using them for when you buy them. Odd that I would call being organized a down side...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a tool I've been using for going on 30 years.

I used to be able to throw sheets around when needed, but at my age I don't even try anymore.

With age came "I'm too old for that crap!" and so my tool going on 30 years has been invaluable in getting the big sheets.

And I only have to cook her dinner... My wife helps me both at the store to buy and unloading from the trailer.

She's a good sport that way LOL

1 - 20 of 51 Posts