Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess nothing lasts forever!

I have 3 shop fox mobile bases in my shop, for the table saw, band saw and the jointer. After 17 years have now have had at least one caster failure on each one. In every case the plastic tire has split in half, I don't know if it's from age, use, or something else. I can get one workable base from the two smaller bases, but I now have to decide whether it's cheaper and easier to replace all 4 casters with new ones on the other two bases, or buy new bases.

If only my work space was big enough that tools didn't need to move!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, I guess nothing lasts forever!

I have 3 shop fox mobile bases in my shop, for the table saw, band saw and the jointer. After 17 years have now have had at least one caster failure on each one. In every case the plastic tire has split in half, I don't know if it's from age, use, or something else. I can get one workable base from the two smaller bases, but I now have to decide whether it's cheaper and easier to replace all 4 casters with new ones on the other two bases, or buy new bases.

If only my work space was big enough that tools didn't need to move!
I've been using those red wheeled casters from Woodcraft for about 20 years, I like them enough to have kept using them. Last time I bought any (couple years ago) they were still the same product, but you have to watch that these days, I've caught vendors switching for a cheaper product that looks the same.

For bases I make my own - admittedly not everyone can follow that path, since mine involve welding. Only store bought base I have didn't suit well, I think I had it under the table saw at first and quickly decided to build a custom one for the saw and then cut up and re-welded the store bought one to fit my lathe.

I went from a 2 car garage to a 20x30 shop and hoping to move up to a +1000 sq ft shop in the coming years. Keeping everything mobile none the less. I've yet to have any shop space be big enough! Nature hates a vacuum and woodworkers must hate to see available space go unused! :D

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I can't yet say how long they will last, but Amazon is selling caster sets with combination swivel and wheel lock quite reasonably. These are just an example in this link, just to give you an idea. You will need to make your choice based on your needs for wheel size and attachment method.

amazon.com/Caster-Locking-Bearing-Casters-Polyurethane/dp/B091HCSZJ7/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=caster+sets&qid=1624814776&sr=8-5

I've used several sets of these casters and have been quite impressed with their quality for the price paid. They are made well, but I have no idea how long they will last, but pretty certain that they will last longer than me. Buy casters rated for way more than the load that you will be putting on them and you should have a good service life. Bumpy surfaces need larger casters for smoother movement.

Charley

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.