Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

My name is Barett from Williston, VT. I have recently embarked on a canoe making project and it seems to be going pretty well. I'll post some photos of my progress when I can... new member restrictions?!

Does anyone know what a thumb plane is? It is used for matching up planking around the curved hull of the canoe. It appears to be very small?

Thanks, Barrett

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't know what a Thumb plane is (I know it's not for planing your thumb, that's just a bonus feature).

I am, however, looking forward to seeing some pictures of your canoe build.
I have just completed a 14' Stitch&Glue plywood canoe.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Greetings all,

My name is Barett from Williston, VT. I have recently embarked on a canoe making project and it seems to be going pretty well. I'll post some photos of my progress when I can... new member restrictions?!

Does anyone know what a thumb plane is? It is used for matching up planking around the curved hull of the canoe. It appears to be very small?

Thanks, Barrett
My understanding it is a very small block plane. Close quarter work where a standard plane will not fit. Plane with the fingers, not the hands.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Welcome to the router community Barrett.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
G’day Barrett

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome Barrett I will be following your post with great interest. My father and I rebuilt a cedar and canvas row boat many years ago. Wish I still had it, I remember my dad being on a lake with his 5 hp Merc motor he would open that thing up and lean forward grabbing each side of the boat and steer it by leaning left or right, it was so cool. Gosh how miss the old days. Oops that must mean I'm getting old.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know what a Thumb plane is (I know it's not for planing your thumb, that's just a bonus feature).

I am, however, looking forward to seeing some pictures of your canoe build.
I have just completed a 14' Stitch&Glue plywood canoe.
I'm not sure about a thumb plane, but the following link shows Nick Engler making what he calls a finger plane

Making a Finger Plane Classroom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great posts and great project. I have a female canoe mold and a book on strip canoes, and I have been dieing to give one a shot. I think this winter may be the time. I would love to see you pics when you get her going and the finished product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thumb/finger plane

Thumb planes are just really small planes.

Gav,

Thanks very much for your input(and everyone else as well) I believe this is exactly what i am looking for. I'll se if I can find these and buy one. All this best,

Barrett

1 - 11 of 11 Posts