Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a lot of my projects I need to drill holes in round stock that are centered on the diameter. I’ve tried many methods and usually end up centering the drill bit by eye. Sometimes I do well and some times not so much. It is especially a problem with small diameter stock.

I found this nifty little tool at Micromark.com that has solved the problem for me no matter what diameter stock I’m using. Whether it’s as small as quarter inch brass rod or larger wooden dowels, it is easy to center the drill bit. Just center the stock under the chuck with the jig. Lock the stock in position and then replace the jig with the appropriate sized bit and drill. Very simple.

The tool is relatively inexpensive and worth a look If you occasionally need to drill holes in round stock.

Here’s a link to the product: Center Finder for Round Stock

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Nice find...thanks for sharing...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Thanks Oliver. That will work for doing metal with my milling machine too.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
cool find..
thanks Oliver..

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Nice tool, but an approximation.
And use fixturing to hold the work so it can be re-indexed.
If you have the luxury, drill in scrap rod first; see if that is close enough.
If not, then re-arrange your fixturing.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,358 Posts
Nice find Oliver.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I dont see how that harbor frieght jig is SELF centering.

You have to decide where the plate is going to be bolted down every time.
Correct - you have to set the jig up initially centered on the drill bit, after that the stock is automatically centered. Guess the Marketing people got a little carried away with the description.

It's easy to set up and get centered, lining the point of the drill bit with the groove in the bottom of the jig.

BTW the conduit connectors were being modified to make a plier holder to mount on pegboard. I found some plastic anchors with flanges that wouldn't push through the pegboard and attached the holder with SM screws,

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Step 1: Build a jig. Take a piece of scrap board, and a few inches from one end drill a hole the size of your dowel. ...
Step 2: Insert dowel in jig. Mark the center-point of your dowel. ...
Step 3: Drill a through-hole.
Drill a hole lengthwise through a dowel - Instructables
Drill a hole lengthwise through a dowel

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I think someone on this forum suggested this method for marking the center of a dowel.

Drill a hole in a piece of scrap using a Forstner bit the same size as the dowel, install a blind nail in the center hole left by the bit and mark the dowel by pushing it in the hole so the projecting end of the blind nail marks the center.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that was me...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Kind of thought that it was, but didn't want to offend anyone if it wasn't.

I may change things up a little if I make more - the "dimple" left by the Forstner bit is a little large for the blind nails so I may wind up deepening the hole a little with a top bearing pattern bit to remove a little of the dimple so that the nail doesn't go so far below the face of the counterbore.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Kind of thought that it was, but didn't want to offend anyone if it wasn't.

I may change things up a little if I make more - the "dimple" left by the Forstner bit is a little large for the blind nails so I may wind up deepening the hole a little with a top bearing pattern bit to remove a little of the dimple so that the nail doesn't go so far below the face of the counterbore.
you want the nail below the the face of the counter-bore so that the bore centers the dowel better...
sink the nail to it's shoulder w/ the shoulder setting on the bottom od the bore...
also the bore doubles as a sizing gauge...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
you want the nail below the the face of the counter-bore so that the bore centers the dowel better...
sink the nail to it's shoulder w/ the shoulder setting on the bottom od the bore...
also the bore doubles as a sizing gauge...
Exactly, but the "dimple" from the Forstner bit is a little larger than the flange of the blind nail so the nail drops down into the dimple - need to take a little skim on the bottom of the counterbore to reduce the outer diameter of the dimple.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Exactly, but the "dimple" from the Forstner bit is a little larger than the flange of the blind nail so the nail drops down into the dimple - need to take a little skim on the bottom of the counterbore to reduce the outer diameter of the dimple.
the nail point is still above the bottom of the bore isn't it???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts