Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one of these HF has it on sale and I was thinking about picking one up the model number is 34102. Any input would be thankful. :confused:

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well no replies that telling me what my decision will be. Afraid I'd be getting what I would pay for. Anyone have recomedations on a have decently priced dovetail machine. And I would like to know what kind of luck you had with your model. Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eagle1 said:
Hello,
I have one of these it works, with a little trial & error I think it works
just like it should :)
Thanks for the info that's what I've been hearing I think I'll try to get to the store and get a better look at it heard that there are 2 different ones one with plastic and one with metal templates. And welcom eagle1 to the routerforums. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Glann; I sent for a catalog, I have a Crestline, and these look very similar, but will only do half blind, The dimensions may be such that thr Rockler through template can be adapted to it like I did to my Crestline and it really works great.I'm still working on the jig I am making to use a fixture similar to the incra guide bar, and you can do through dovetails in three cuts without the use of the templates. ref;www.woodshopdemos.com/incra4.htm.
catch ya'll later
Frank

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just picked that one up about a week ago -- haven't had time to do much with it yet though. (Templates are metal). Instructions leave a lot to be desired, but there is another document for a virtually identical jig that I'll get the link to for you later.

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Stan and Frank should be getting that baby today. I'll keep you both informed on what I think of it. I'm like a kid on chrismas day. I huge kid. :D :D :D

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally got it

I finally got the blasted thing today after waiting 12 days for it it's finally here. Looks great I'll have to do some practicing before I get into it. The bad news is I need another work bench to mount it :D . I was planning on one anyway. Stan that is a spitting image from your link in fact even the boxes are idental. I'll probably hold off on getting them other templates for awhile until I get the hang of this one. :confused: Thanks to all that helped me make my decision on this. Don't worry I'll have a whole lot more questions about how to use and keep my fingers and saness. :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Glenmore,
I've had one of these HF dovetail jigs for a couple of years, but have never used it. I got it in a trade for an old junk van.
I have all 3 metal templates with it and all of them look & feel like they have a sandblasted finish. Is your template rough, like a sand blasted finish?
I thought I'd sand them smooth before I used them. I wasn't sure what the roughness would do to my router baseplate.
By the way, if you want to make it into a portable jig, just attatch a couple of intersecting boards about 12" for the vertical & 24" for the horizonal as a substitute for a bench top. Then you can just clamp it to a bench top when in use, then remove it afterward. But don't let this stop you from building the other bench you want.
Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
394 Posts
Tried mine out the other day, didn't have time to adjust the bit height for a better fit -- but looks like the jig itself will work just fine. The only modification that I can foresee for the jig is the addition of a router base stabilization bar to help keep the router base from tipping. (Haven't looked close to see how that could be done yet, but shouldn't be too terribly hard).

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chuck I mounted mine onto a 2x8 just long enough to clamp it to the bench that I finally got done after 2years. Made myself one of them colaspable benchs had the old tablesaw blocking it. Got a new tablesaw that is colasable to now stowed that into a corner and did up the bench. My template that I got with mine is nice and smooth.

Stan what size router are you using? I didn't try it yet but figured my 690pc shouldn't have a problem or will it. I think I'll take it for a spin today and get back to you all on how I fared. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.