Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Craftsman router (315.17470) which has a 1/4" collet. I am having difficulty finding a template bit with a 1/4" shank. I want to know if I can change the collet on my router to accomodate a 1/2" shank.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
The short would be NO But what type of bit are looking for they make many router bits in the 1/4" shank size, just post a picture of the bit you want to find if we can't help you find it just buy a new router with a 1/2' collet..

===

I have an older Craftsman router (315.17470) which has a 1/4" collet. I am having difficulty finding a template bit with a 1/4" shank. I want to know if I can change the collet on my router to accomodate a 1/2" shank.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,941 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum

Rockler, Woodcrafter, Amazon there are a lot of places that sell 1/4 shank pattern bits just google

The answer on collet no you can go from 1/2 to 1/4 but not the other way

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi _____, welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

You could also try here: Lee Valley

And, as Bob suggested, think about getting a new router. One of my routers is an older Craftsman similar to yours, and while it is still a very useful tool, the new routers open up a whole new world.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You could also look at guide bushings.

Is there a special profile you are looking for?

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,359 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I did manage to find a flush trim bit with bearing guides top and bottom with a 1/4" shank (Freud) for my template work. I will be looking for a newer router with a 1/2" collet but I don't need it for the current small project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts