Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a sign to donate to the benefit for the Channelview, Tx high school Band Relief Fund Benefit. We have lived in CV for over 30 years and our girls all went to the high school. We now have grandsons attending there.

I carved the sign out of MDF. After a couple of coats of Shellac, I painted both sides yellow. Then I covered the front side with clear, removable contact paper.

I designed the sign and created the toolpaths in VCarve Pro v9. The bulk of the waste was removed with a .25 inch downcut end mill. That made for a smooth cut. A .125 inch end mill did a cleanup pass and a 60 deg v groove bit with a .020 flat tip did the detailed carving. After removing the sign from the CNC, I cutaway the tabs and smoothed the edge with a flush trim bit. A small round over bit eased the edge on the top edge. Love having dual routers ready to go at a moments notice.

Currently, it is sitting on the patio while a coat of Shellac dries. After some light sanding, I will spray all exposed areas with the blue color, and do a little touch up with the yellow (the edge needs the yellow sprayed first).

More pics to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Real nice sign, Mike. That incident hit close to home for you, so hopefully your involvement in the benefit will give you a bit of healing. Pulling for you and the families and kids at the school and in the community. Nicely done.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I am making a sign to donate to the benefit for the Channelview, Tx high school Band Relief Fund Benefit. We have lived in CV for over 30 years and our girls all went to the high school. We now have grandsons attending there.

I carved the sign out of MDF. After a couple of coats of Shellac, I painted both sides yellow. Then I covered the front side with clear, removable contact paper.

I designed the sign and created the toolpaths in VCarve Pro v9. The bulk of the waste was removed with a .25 inch downcut end mill. That made for a smooth cut. A .125 inch end mill did a cleanup pass and a 60 deg v groove bit with a .020 flat tip did the detailed carving. After removing the sign from the CNC, I cutaway the tabs and smoothed the edge with a flush trim bit. A small round over bit eased the edge on the top edge. Love having dual routers ready to go at a moments notice.

Currently, it is sitting on the patio while a coat of Shellac dries. After some light sanding, I will spray all exposed areas with the blue color, and do a little touch up with the yellow (the edge needs the yellow sprayed first).

More pics to follow.

So mike the clear shelf paper is still on the yellow right? You then will spray the blue and after that remove the shelf paper. Is this close to being right?

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
How do you get the mask to stick so good?? Mine usually has a few tight places that take the mask off and I still have to sand some. The mask is good for the majority of the carving.

Looks Good. What'd you trace the bird from?

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do you get the mask to stick so good?? Mine usually has a few tight places that take the mask off and I still have to sand some. The mask is good for the majority of the carving.

Looks Good. What'd you trace the bird from?
I used downcut bits for the end mill toolpaths. That worked great. I did see one small piece lift on the "e" that I will have to touch up. The mdf cut smoothly. I sprayed the Shellac before starting, and then sprayed the bare mdf again to seal it.

The Falcon was an image I found on the internet that resembles the one in their school logo.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice job Mike. I hope the band kids can recover quickly from this tragedy, there were pictures on the national news shows and it was not a pretty sight. Good for you on helping them on their recovery journey. Some of these kids go on to the performing Marching Arts and it's very entertaining to watch. See DCI.org.

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
Great Job Mike. That should bring some good money to the cause.

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In spite of getting sick over the weekend, I still managed to finish the sign yesterday. Waiting for a call so the lady from the booster club can pick it up. Like mentioned, I hope it sells well. We will find out Saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
Nice paint job. That should bring some good money to the Band Relief Fund and should make the new owner very happy.

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The lady that picked it up today is on the Booster Club. She said she would take a picture of it and show the other members at their meeting this weekend so those that couldn't make the Fund raiser could see it. Hmmm, sounds like I have an unpaid sales rep! :surprise::grin:

So I told her I have several designs and another sign in the works for a teacher at our local junior high.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.