Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was asked to make a checkerboard several months back and kept putting it off as I didn't really want to glue up material. I was looking around the shop one day and I thought, why couldn't I just make this from plywood and simulate the checkered areas with stain and paint. The following pics show what I came up with.

I used a scrap piece of plywood and some pine to make the trim boards, then poured epoxy over everything. The epoxy really gave it depth and I would bet that if I didn't tell people, they would think that is was glued up material.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So that's just one piece of ply? If so, how did you keep the stain so well confined? I don't see any bleeding!
Yes, it is just one piece. I used Oramask when I machined the v-grooves. That allowed me to pull off the appropriate squares to apply the stain and the v-grooves kept the stain from bleeding. Then I sealed with shellac and painted the v-grooves with black acrylic paint.

·
Super Moderator
3,509 Posts
People won't believe it when you tell them? I don't believe it and I'm looking at the photos! That looks great, Dave! I never would've believed you could get that look with plywood. Excellent job and presentation!

David

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
sweet!!!!

Reactions: beltramidave

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
So much for the people who don't like plywood. Very nice.

And if you ever want to make a simple chess/checker board for kids (something that won't get good care) here you go. Just make a stencil and spray paint it.

Attachments

Reactions: JFPNCM

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am floored by that finish and that is an incredible project!

I think I need to learn about using epoxy for finishes
Not much to it, if you can follow directions. Bought mine a big box store. Mix 1:1 as directed, make sure piece is level and pour. I used a electric heat gun to "pop" air bubbles.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
can I add??? - AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, it is just one piece. I used Oramask when I machined the v-grooves. That allowed me to pull off the appropriate squares to apply the stain and the v-grooves kept the stain from bleeding. Then I sealed with shellac and painted the v-grooves with black acrylic paint.
Thanks! And I learned something new -- oramask! I never heard of it before...
Very nice job!:smile:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Now that's one very serious checker board. Won't find one of those in my granddaughter's toy boxes. That is some serious skilled work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts