John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum Kimberley

Reactions: The Cynergist

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Kimberley! We're glad to have you here and look forward to your participation, questions, projects (we love photos!), and whatever else you have woodworking and finish wise.

David

·
Registered
888 Posts
Welcome, Kimberly. You'll love it here. All are friendly. Some are a little wacky! The humor is sometimes off-centered; but we're all eager to see new members who want to learn. You can certainly learn here. Ask lots of questions - it helps us, too. Join right in. You've hit the jackpot. Enjoy the ride.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Kimberly and welcome. We'll be glad to help you.

·
Registered
21,693 Posts
Hi Kimberley, and welcome to the Forum. Sounds to me as if you enjoy doing things with your hands. I'm going to post a link to a post on the 17 plus things that helped me get going with woodworking. It is long, but covers a lot of ground and in part was created to help you avoid spending money on things that don't make a difference.

I think for most of us these days, YouTube has been a real boon. There are tens of thousands of videos online on woodworking covering just about any kind of work you can imagine. Many will show you exactly how to go about a project.

Woodworking is different than DIY home repairs and carpentry. In woodworking, you're usually making some specific item, like fancy boxes, my favorite is picture frames for my wife's art. You might look up The Wood Whisperer, who is pretty easy to follow and has a decent reputation here. He keeps it pretty straightforward. He started out in a garage but has slowly upgraded to his own large shop, and filled it with tools that make most of us drool. He does lots of projects so you'll get an idea what kinds of things can be made. Most of us start with small cabinets, boxes and tool stands. You will find lots of information here as well, and we LOVE questions, so ask away.

Here's the link to the long article. http://www.routerforums.com/featured-topics/75457-17-things-accelerate-your-learning-curve.html It covers a lot of ground.

Finally, sawdust is nasty stuff, get it stuck in your lungs and it can cause lifelong injury. So get yourself a good mask and read up on sawdust control here, and in the long article. Eye protection is also important. You can even get safety glasses with a bifocal these days. The picture is of my favorite mask, from Rockler Woodworking stores or online. It uses positive pressure to keep sawdust out.

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Kimberley,

We are a bunch of people with a passion for all that is woodworking. The knowledge available to you is simply mind blowing ! I'm from South Western Quebec near the Ontario border in a small town named St Clet. Where in South Eastern Ontario are you ?
Cheers, Dan

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Kimberley. Welcome to our little corner of the 'net from way down in Southern Ontario.

Reactions: The Cynergist

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Welcome Kimberley. Tons of good stuff here and very knowledgeable people. Any question is usually answered with several options. Uh, just thinking about your fascination with sandpaper. I've got a big Locust tree I'd like to take down sometime. Do you think you'd like to take it on. It may take a while but with your apparent determination....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome Kimberley. Tons of good stuff here and very knowledgeable people. Any question is usually answered with several options. Uh, just thinking about your fascination with sandpaper. I've got a big Locust tree I'd like to take down sometime. Do you think you'd like to take it on. It may take a while but with your apparent determination....
On my way; sandpaper in hand. What's the weather like?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to the Forum Kimberley,

We are a bunch of people with a passion for all that is woodworking. The knowledge available to you is simply mind blowing ! I'm from South Western Quebec near the Ontario border in a small town named St Clet. Where in South Eastern Ontario are you ?
Cheers, Dan
I just recently moved to Cardinal from Cornwall where I lived for 24 years. I'm originally from Montréal though

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to the forum, Kimberley! We're glad to have you here and look forward to your participation, questions, projects (we love photos!), and whatever else you have woodworking and finish wise.

David
Thank you for the welcome David.

I have a few photos of plaques I did, when I reach the 10 post limit I will share them with the forum.

I had a look at your Etsy shop, and your work is amazing. I have an Etsy shop too; mostly vinyl work. Being new here I don't know that I'm allowed to share any links yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Kim - welcome to the forum, from the Niagara Region.

Checked your tool list and see you've broken the items into "his stuff" and "your stuff". That's funny cause in my house hold it all becomes "her stuff", but there's tools "she" isn't allowed to touch!!!!
Hi Vince,

My Honey and I do share all of the tools except one: He won't let me touch the table saw. His mitre saw was the first real power tool I ever used. I worked for 4 years with a home renovator and never touched the power tools because I was too afraid of them. Mostly it was the loud noise that scared me off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Kimberley, and welcome to the Forum. Sounds to me as if you enjoy doing things with your hands. I'm going to post a link to a post on the 17 plus things that helped me get going with woodworking. It is long, but covers a lot of ground and in part was created to help you avoid spending money on things that don't make a difference.

I think for most of us these days, YouTube has been a real boon. There are tens of thousands of videos online on woodworking covering just about any kind of work you can imagine. Many will show you exactly how to go about a project.

Finally, sawdust is nasty stuff, get it stuck in your lungs and it can cause lifelong injury. So get yourself a good mask and read up on sawdust control here, and in the long article. Eye protection is also important. You can even get safety glasses with a bifocal these days. The picture is of my favorite mask, from Rockler Woodworking stores or online. It uses positive pressure to keep sawdust out.
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the link. I will be sure to read it.

I do have safety glasses. I don't think I've ever seen a mask like that before though. I just get the little paper ones that come in packs of 5 or 6. I do have big one for fumes though. Do you think I could use that for dust too?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.