Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a cabinet I finished a short time ago for book storage. It is my own design, but pretty standard as far as cabinets go. The door panels are bird's eye maple with the rest cherry. The top is my first breadboard end effort. I like the look of the ends standing proud so I did them that way. Three through dowels hold the ends in place. The centre one is tight whereas the two others are in slots for movement.
The side panels float of course. The drawer slides against guides with poly tape under the runners. The knife hinges are a first for me. The handles are shop-made. Finish is shellac, cherry stain and wipe-on poly. Any and all comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Dennis,,, you have this terrible habit of turning out some REALLY nice work! The color combinations are great...love the look of the side panels...and the pulls are just the right touch...

that one will be in the family a very long time.. :)

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Absolutely beautiful piece. Love the maple/cherry combo. That will be a great family heirloom.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Outstanding....
you have done yourself proud Dennis...

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,338 Posts
What they all said.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Great project Dennis!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
+1 what everybody said. Very nice.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,839 Posts
Very nice Dennis, really nice work.:)

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Really never Job Dennis . Liking the look with the different woods ;)

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I like the design. Everything looks well balanced.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Amazing work. congrats. Im very jealous because in my country is VERY, VERY difficult to get other woods but pine, cedar and mahogany in the best cases. :surprise:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for the kind comments everyone. I am fortunate to live about a half hour drive away from a great wood supplier. Century Mill Lumber can be found at Home - Century Mill Lumber
They have been a family business for generations. The bird's eye maple is generally available. It was $15.00 a board foot when I bought it. There can be a lot of waste as the figure is not consistent. I bought a $96.00 board for the two doors and there was no usable waste.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Beautiful piece! Are the side panels in a dado slot? How about the three horizontal separations - how are they connected to the corner posts?

Again - really nice!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts