Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a table base using cherry for the aprons. I sanded it down in with 3 grits - 100, 150 and 220. Yet the wood on one side still had some "fuzz". If I ran my hand one direction with the grain, it's perfectly smooth but going the other direction (still with the grain), I could feel little splinters or some such. The wood isn't very figured. I used a ROS to sand so I went over it again by hand with 150 and then 220 taking pains to sand in the direction of the grain. it was a little better but I could still feel it. When I ran a clean shop rag over it in the one direction, you could see little threads that had been snagged. None of the other cherry boards I used for the project have this.

I put that side on the inside of the table and went ahead and finished so at least I managed to hide the problem. It still feels slightly rough even after 3 coats of General Arm-r-seal and sanding with 320 grit and then 600 between coats.

Any ideas on what I was doing wrong? It's driving me crazy (which is a short trip these days...).

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
flat or rift sawn woods are very prone do this...
the ends or layers of the rays (grain) are turned slightly up and those are why the fuzziness you feel...
hand sand w/ 120/150... use sanding sealer and don't sand to 220... max out sanding the the sealer at 150/180...
finer sanding is for between coats... no limit here...
too fine of an initial sanding will lend to a blotchy look in your finish......
the finer you initially sand the more fuzziness you'll suffer and the blotchier the finish...

Reactions: chas980 and MYB506

·
Premium Member
19,221 Posts
What about using scraper? Sanding sealer has also worked well for me whenever I've felt "fuzz."

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. I've always gone down to 220 and never had this before. A scraper might be a good idea. Worth a try. I did use a sanding sealer on this. (Which the guy at my local rockler said was a bad idea - I'm thinking he might be the bad idea)

Finishing is one of those areas that I kind of dread. I've got Flexner's book but there are still too many degrees of freedom, too many ways to completely screw up an otherwise great job.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I thought redhead...

Reactions: Herb Stoops
1 - 9 of 9 Posts