Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
50yrs ago my girl friend gave me a chess set for Christmas. She bought the set while visiting Malaysia. That set followed me, then us, around the world and I now I finally got around to building a table.
The wood is walnut and ash. Drawers are mitered with dovetail splines. Finish is Osmo Polyx satin. The chess pieces are hand carved bone by an unknown artist.

table.JPG

Side.JPG

front.JPG

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Beautiful chess set and board which complement each other very well. While I haven't played chess in years I can certainly appreciate the work.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Gosh Bob, that is pretty. May I ask how you did the dovetails?
Th guy who carved the pieces also knew what he was doing.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,354 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
Paul
1,952 Posts
Very nicely done, Bob. I can appreciate all of the steps involved in something like that. The finish looks great.

I wonder what a drawer pull in the light colored wood would be like.

·
Premium Member
19,965 Posts
Wow. Now THAT'S a chess table. Love the contrasting woods, and the storage drawer for the pieces is a great detail. The set in very interesting, although replacing bishops with cardinals might not fly in Rome. Enjoy playing the game of kings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nicely done, Bob. I can appreciate all of the steps involved in something like that. The finish looks great.

I wonder what a drawer pull in the light colored wood would be like.
I went back and forth on drawer pulls, and decided that I would just rout a finger pull on the inside bottom edge of each drawer. My thinking was if I wanted exposed drawer pulls later on I could add them. Right now I kind of like the non-interrupted drawer face.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very attractive! Very professional looking table! Is there a plan you used for the legs?
I used sketchup to plan the table, I downloaded a cabriole leg design then slightly modified it for my legs. I printed a paper template, then made a template for the legs. I did make a prototype out of poplar before doing the real thing.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Very nice Bob, beautiful work. I haven’t played chess since probably 1978 and I loved it but never had a nice set. The table looks great!

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,524 Posts
50yrs ago my girl friend gave me a chess set for Christmas. She bought the set while visiting Malaysia. That set followed me, then us, around the world and I now I finally got around to building a table.
The wood is walnut and ash. Drawers are mitered with dovetail splines. Finish is Osmo Polyx satin. The chess pieces are hand carved bone by an unknown artist.
Bob , are you being serious about the Chess pieces ? I thought they looked 3D printed .

great job on the table

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bob , are you being serious about the Chess pieces ? I thought they looked 3D printed .

great job on the table
Pretty sure they didn't have 3D printers 50yrs ago.:) I have always been amazed at the skill something that takes!

·
Registered
Retired Engineer, Hobby woodworker
12 Posts

WOW - absolutely gorgeous. Great job. (y)(y)

View attachment 398453

View attachment 398454

View attachment 398455

View attachment 398456

View attachment 398457

View attachment 398458

1 - 18 of 18 Posts