Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Opps, sorry I mean "Chestmate" dovetail jig.

Looks quite versatile although might be a bit slower process than some jigs?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Although I haven't ever used this dovetail jig, my experience has included using several similar dovetail jigs. Since the jig must be re-positioned to cut each pin and tail it is very easy for you to fail to get the jig re-positioned correctly for one or more of the cuts. The longer the joint and the more dovetails involved, the more chances for error. A good dovetail joint requires very precise positioning and cutting for it to fit together properly. If you only need one single dovetail it should work well, but if you are making a multiple dovetail joint you will likely have problems with it.

Charley

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Wood Magazine called the ChestMate a "Hot new tool" in 2008. If you are an experienced woodworker you can probably get good results with this jig. The ability to create your own spacing or make box joints by changing the center section is offset by the likelyhood of messing up the alignment. I would not recommend this jig unless you are an advanced woodworker.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Opps, sorry I mean "Chestmate" dovetail jig.

Looks quite versatile although might be a bit slower process than some jigs?
yes, I have used one these type Jigs. I found it to be quite cumbersome and hard to make very accurate cuts. I have since switched to a full 18 in jig. Much easier to work with and far more accurate for me.:laugh:

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

I don't have that jig but a mate got one and called me over to give him a hand with it, I will say I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box and after two hours with it I said this thing is a joke,we got one drawer done in two hours and it tuned out like crap,the dovetail is a very easy job to do with the right jig, like I told him,I can show you the water but I can't make you drink it...the error in the jig is that you must reset it every time for each dovetail and that puts the error in place and once you have one error the next one is in error also.
I will say if you want to put in blind dovetails get the EZ dovetail jig and the next step up is the Katie jig (sommerfeld jig) .
So the bottom line is he took it back and got his money back but he didn't tell me what he got, he is a bit hard headed like me LOL..two old men in the wood shop at one time is not a good thing LOL.. :nhl_checking::moil:

http://www.routerforums.com/project-plans-how/30687-ez-dovetail-jig.html

http://www.routerforums.com/woodworking-classifieds/33513-sommerfeld-katiejig-brand-new-box.html

==
"Chestmate" dovetail jig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNlIEa-0nmQ

==

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all for your very helpful reply's.
I am leaning to getting the Incra LS 17 inch system.
Accuracy and versatility for other uses and ease of use are my reasoning so far?
Not sure what to mount it to. I have a portable 14 x 24 inch router table which is likely too small for the Incra jig. May save my pennies (we are soon doing away with them here in Canada anyway :)) and go for the kit with table and stand all at once.
I don't need the dovetail capability for a couple of months yet so I am not in a rush. In research mode for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts