Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to make a table lamp for my one year old grandson that he may become a keepsake, but I cannot find much in the way of plans on line. I would like one with an active part like a cat who's tail pulls the chain for the light or like a pump with the handle that turns on the light. I remember those from my childhood.

Anyone know where I can find some ideas, pictures, or plans for a fun light? Thanks in advance for anyone that may be able to help.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
Sounds like you don't really need any plans, Ron, you already have a great idea. Just find an animal picture you like or pictures of old hand pumps and go from there. Your concept has the making of a very clever project.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
OK, I am buying stock in ACME.

Ron, in the same way an animal tail can be used to pull the chain on a lamp socket an old fashioned pump handle...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
new challenge Oliver...

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
new challenge Oliver...
A good place to start looking for pattern ideas is here: Layered Animal Plans
Building in layers will give you a lot of options for making one of the parts move to turn the lamp on or off.

It's tempting, Stick, but I'm not biting yet. :no:

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: old55

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks Oliver...the layered plans are a great place to start. I knew someone would give me an idea of where to start. I see several that could be modified to get me a lamp with a moving part.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
I see several that could be modified to get me a lamp with a moving part.
Me too. I confess that I ordered a part today that maybe, sorta, could be used to help turn the light on and off. However, no commitment (ya' listening, Stick?) to actually doing anything with it. But ... it is a tempting project, isn't it? :yes4:

For those new here, you should understand that Stick's last challenge led me to doing a lot of work. Okay, it was fun, it was time consuming, and I liked the result, but it was a lot of work.

Then again, Ron does really have a cool idea. Hmmmm .....

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
the whole up shot was that you taught many, including me, a few things on processes, technique and plan ''B'' problem solving...
most every one of your post do that......

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I am afraid it might be no contest Mark. I am still tickled by this little gem from Oliver.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ron - these are some pics of a night light which I made for my granddaughter many years ago, and subsequently made a few more for friends - they feature interchangeable patterns scrollsawed in plywood, which simply slide into a groove on the front. Not quite inter-active, but might give you some ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Ron - these are some pics of a night light which I made for my granddaughter many years ago, and subsequently made a few more for friends - they feature interchangeable patterns scrollsawed in plywood, which simply slide into a groove on the front. Not quite inter-active, but might give you some ideas.
oh I like those...

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
Reactions: Herb Stoops
1 - 20 of 30 Posts