Router Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The files with teeth on two sides and one flat are used to cut dovetails in gun barrels or other metal items. This allowed the dovetail to be enlarged to fit a front or rear sight but not deepen the dovetail.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hello!

By the new picture i can see this convex and lined face.

And i think this was made out of a sharpening steel .

This is popular in France , cooks and butchers use them

When new, they are round and a little conical, with lines all around them.
A sharpening steel is what the lines reminded me of too Gerard and I have one that I'm not very good at using. But all the sharpening steels I've seen are around 12-14mm in diameter. According to the radius on the side the grooves are on it would have been over 30 mm in diameter if this had been made from one. The direction of the grooves is why it wasn't made from any type file either because the grooves are 90* to those of a file.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The files with teeth on two sides and one flat are used to cut dovetails in gun barrels or other metal items. This allowed the dovetail to be enlarged to fit a front or rear sight but not deepen the dovetail.
That's interesting John. I know gunsmithing has some pretty specialized tools. Are those files straight or tapered?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The ones I have seen had a slight bit of taper. When the sight was tapped in place, it had a snug fit. This would be the base for a sight as moving the dovetailed piece would work loose in time. Not a good thing when your sight falls off and there is a toothy critter that has you on the menu.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.