Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
967 Posts
For those not aware,
I started a new job in May for a saw mill equipment company in Quebec city. I am the technical rep for the forestry and mining industries and I have been to many saw mills already and haven't left the province of Quebec yet. WOW is the first comment that comes to mind. I have seen some mills that are SO BIG and others that are Ma & Pa outfits. Pulp and Paper mills are also big and soon I will be visiting panel mills for OSB and plywood. I knew that the Forestry Industry was a key player locally but I am in AWE ! If you have a minute, look up Resolute Forest Products, or ARBEC, or one mill I saw this week was Barette Lumber in Chapais Quebec. This week I went around the Lac St Jean area and north to Chibougamau and Chapais.2233 Kilometers (1388 miles) this week ! I love my job ! I have been looking at the Ford Explorer as a change of vehicle because I am often in remote areas and gravel roads. Anybody have one ? looking for some feedback.

· Registered
967 Posts
I have seen so far 2 customers that start from logs and end up building pallets. There are several plants that buy cut lumber and just make the pallets but to start from logs is a complete operation. They even have large kilns to dry the wood first then make the pallets.

· Registered
967 Posts
I am also looking at the Hyundai Sante Fe. Locally the Quebec provincial Police our version of State Troopers; are using the Explorer and everyone I have spoken to so far claims they love it ! I'm usually a Chevy man, I'm on my 4th Impala, but the GM full size SUVs are all V8s. I want a V6 and no turbos. My boss has a Ford Edge with the twin turbo Ecoboost engine and he has to use premium gas at a much higher cost. I want just a regular V6 that can run on regular gas. I also looked at the smaller SUVs but again they almost all have 4 cyl. with turbos. The amount of mileage I do I don't want the turbos for when they break the cost is usually high !

· Registered
967 Posts
Tom,
I hear ya, but there are apparently no sawmills in TO ! I am anxious to do Northern ON. and the Algonquin areas. Some parts of Northern ON. will be easier to do by flying to Winterpeg and renting a vehicle there to backtrack, then go west from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.