Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each year at our office we hold an ornament exchange--lot of fun with a $10 limit. The standard fare is very ornate to downright funny (i got a reindeer that makes "noise" one year, still a favorite at our house). A few years back i got burned out on looking for the right ornament to buy so i whipped up a slide-top box from some scrap walnut and put a basic red bulb in it. The next year was oak, last year was a cherry.

For this year, i picked up a small stick of zebra wood a few weeks back, resawed to do continuous grain. 1/4" box joints with 1" spacing. Base & top are wormy maple, and the handle was from gluing my 2 offcuts back together before shaping. Top is a perfect fit, almost too good!! Three coats of Watco teak oil to shade it a bit, with a coat of Johnson's paste wax, buffed with kraft paper. The pics are from the 4 corners to show the continuity of the grain, but the new LED lights in the kitchen don't show well--the sides have the same sheen as the handle.

There are some mistakes, but SWMBO is trying to get me in the habit of not pointing them out!! Not one of Malcolm's works of art, but i'm pleased for my first shot with truly exotic wood. The zebra was remarkable easy to work with, planed and sanded better than i expected. Used a card scraper for the first time--WOW, i wish i'd been using them from the beginning of time!! I'm probably at $11.00 on the materials--so the ornament that goes in has got to be really cheap.

Merry Christmas!!
earl

Attachments

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Each year at our office we hold an ornament exchange--lot of fun with a $10 limit. The standard fare is very ornate to downright funny (i got a reindeer that makes "noise" one year, still a favorite at our house). A few years back i got burned out on looking for the right ornament to buy so i whipped up a slide-top box from some scrap walnut and put a basic red bulb in it. The next year was oak, last year was a cherry.

For this year, i picked up a small stick of zebra wood a few weeks back, resawed to do continuous grain. 1/4" box joints with 1" spacing. Base & top are wormy maple, and the handle was from gluing my 2 offcuts back together before shaping. Top is a perfect fit, almost too good!! Three coats of Watco teak oil to shade it a bit, with a coat of Johnson's paste wax, buffed with kraft paper. The pics are from the 4 corners to show the continuity of the grain, but the new LED lights in the kitchen don't show well--the sides have the same sheen as the handle.

There are some mistakes, but SWMBO is trying to get me in the habit of not pointing them out!! Not one of Malcolm's works of art, but i'm pleased for my first shot with truly exotic wood. The zebra was remarkable easy to work with, planed and sanded better than i expected. Used a card scraper for the first time--WOW, i wish i'd been using them from the beginning of time!! I'm probably at $11.00 on the materials--so the ornament that goes in has got to be really cheap.

Merry Christmas!!
earl
You did a great job, Earl, I like it a lot. The zebra wood is one of my favorites. Whom ever gets that box will be thrilled. I like the little handle design on top too. What a great Christmas gift, Thanks for posting.

Herb

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'd like to order a dozen of those boxes at $11 each. I'll even pay shipping! Very nicely done, but I expect you fibbed about the cost of materials.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'll even forgo the ornament inside!
~M

Reactions: ksidwy

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nice; very nice!

Would/could you post the dimensions of the box "body" and the top and bottom?

Again, very nice use of materials and craftsman-like work.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. Pretty much dead on for material cost--paid $18 for the zebra and used half, plus about half a bf of scrap maple. I have enough cherry to make about 300 at least, and with the Incra fence on the router table, shouldn't take too long!!

Ray, the outside dimensions are 3 1/2" high x 5 1/2" wide x 8 3/4" long. Height to width and width to length are both pretty close to 1.6 to 1 ratios, and it works visually. Top & bottom are rabbeted to 1/4" overhang all around, about an 1/8" deep.

That other piece of zebra may be paired with walnut lid--but i'd put a sealer on the zebra to keep the light color a little more milky and the brown would match the walnut i have a little better.

Herb--i was scared of working the grain, but it worked easily. It has a touch of the brittleness that cedar (or ipe for that matter) has, but i kept every cut backed up and had no tear-out. Didin't try to wander as i resawed it (1" Resaw King) and responded nicely to the carbide cutters on the planer as well, though i did feed at about a 10 to 15 degree angle to the head. The smell is a bonus--almost like a high grade cocoa, makes me want a good truffle!!

earl

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that is one squared box...

·
Premium Member
19,028 Posts
I really like this box. It is just the right size to empty pockets into at night. Wallet, watch. Good job. And thanks for the details, I'm digging out my scraper!

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
@greenacres2

Earl: Would appreciate seeing the lid and the base separately. Are they both inset into the box to hold them in place or is there a bottom in the box and the maple is trim? Hope that makes sense.

Great work.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Attaching Bottom Panel

Love your choice of woods Earl. Beautiful little box, well done. Would love to see how the top and bottom fit to the box. I have made quite a few small boxes and always have trouble deciding how to attach the bottom panel.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Ya done good Earl :) she's an eye catcher!!

once you figure out the card scraper, you'll never go back...alot of good vids in YT for putting a hook on em..(the better you get at it, the more you'll be reaching for one)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@greenacres2

Earl: Would appreciate seeing the lid and the base separately. Are they both inset into the box to hold them in place or is there a bottom in the box and the maple is trim? Hope that makes sense.

Great work.
Well, i can show the top, but the bottom is glued on. Top & bottom are basically the same, rabbet about 1/8" deep, used a 3/4" straight bit buried in the fence, then snuck up on a good fit.

Appreciate the compliments, feels good to turn a special piece of wood into something utile--and not screw it up!!

earl

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts