Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each year I run up a batch of band-saw and scroll saw reindeer to give away.
I give them away as I go about my business, shopping etc.
Amazing the response I get with such a simple gift.
Mostly they are made from scrap that I have picked up during the year hence the different sizes to fit the timber available.
Once they are sawn, a sand on the spindle sander, small amount of hand sanding, a run past the flap wheel I made for the drill press then they are dipped in a thinned out polyurethane solution ( 2/3 poly 1/3 fast thinners) and set up to dry 3 times.
I certainly could give them a much better finish but this suits the purpose.
Last year I gave away over 60.
Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas.
John T

Attachments

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
My son made a mess of those when he got his Delta scroll saw about 25 years ago. Never go out of style.

HJ

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I am sure all will appreciate the gifts. A few extra gifts on hand are great addition to the holiday

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I've been making reindeer and giving them away too. This is year #7 for me. Here is a post that I made last year. http://www.routerforums.com/wood-scrolling/83338-todays-production-more-reindeer.html . I made and gave away 428 reindeer last year, but started making them in August last year. This year I've been very busy with other things, so I'll be lucky if I get 100 made. The reindeer shown in the attached post from last year are of the two smallest sizes that I make. The ear ring reindeer are slightly over 1" tall and the reindeer pins are 2 1/4" tall. The largest reindeer that I make are about 3 1/2" tall. The largest are made from pine, but I had to go to hard maple for the small ear ring size, because the pine ones in the smaller sizes were way too fragile.

Charley

·
Registered
Paul
1,831 Posts
I think that those good deeds will get you up high on Santa's list... Maybe you'll get a new tool for Christmas!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Charlie I am sure not in your league 428 is a lot of work.
Mine are not finished to your standard.
Sure is good to be able to give away something you have made.
Most people appreciate the gift and I find Christmas a good time.
Must have a go at making some small ones Charlie, get to use up even more scrap.
Have a merry Christmas
Cheers
John T

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I think giving thing we make away for Christmas is great and I am going to learn to make those reindeer. I also make a few things and give them away to friends and family. I try to make Christmas ornaments every year plus a few other things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts