Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some more wooden padlocks for Christmas presents.

Since I made my last series I have been experimenting with ways to make a stronger shackle.
I have come up with some good ideas around Sticks suggestion of laminating them , After making up a dozen or so in various ways, I have come to the conclusion the BB plywood is the fastest,easiest way to go. So 3 of these have BB shackles and one is a laminated one out of Ash and walnut veneer.
I made a board out of a thin layer of ash ,several layers of walnut and other veneer criss-cross layered, glued and pressed together and then cut and shaped the shackle. I think it is the nicest looking of the bunch.
I did several other shackles in other ways, which I will post in a separate thread how I did them.

The locks are made of Peruvian Walnut, Lacewood/mahogany, Stacked P. walnut/Aromatic Cedar/mahogany/maple.

There are a couple of more in unfinished stages that won't make it in time for this Christmas

Herb.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
man those are nice Herb...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Nicely done, Herb. As always.

·
Premium Member
17,428 Posts
Just incredible Herb! You've got one hell of a talent there. The laminated idea for the shackle really takes it to another level ;)

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
Good job, Herb.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Too cool!!

there just arn't enough hours in the day :)

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,344 Posts
Very nice indeed.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Herb they get better and better with each batch you make. I don't know if you can improve on them anymore.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Herb they get better and better with each batch you make. I don't know if you can improve on them anymore.
The ones that give me the fits are the combinations. They will work ,but not consistently. I am going to try and figure out how to smooth out the operation. I can get them to work because I know the way they are put together , and can bang them on one side and then it moves the locking pin such that I can open them. But if I hand them to someone they can't get it open. The wooden guts don't have the mass or friction-less movement that metal does. And these are replicas of metal ones. But they are more or less ornaments anyway.

Herb

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
The ones that give me the fits are the combinations. They will work ,but not consistently. I am going to try and figure out how to smooth out the operation. I can get them to work because I know the way they are put together , and can bang them on one side and then it moves the locking pin such that I can open them. But if I hand them to someone they can't get it open. The wooden guts don't have the mass or friction-less movement that metal does. And these are replicas of metal ones. But they are more or less ornaments anyway.

Herb
Really nice job, Herb...very unique...they get better and better...my vote for the laminated shackle too...

Might waxing the heck out of the innards help the combination locks work better...? mylar (or such) film between the moving parts, maybe...?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Very impressive. I particularly like the one made of lacewood (I have a supply of mahogany that I plan to turn into a buffet for the dining room and want to make the door panels out of lacewood veneer on MDF).

Have you thought about making a jig and laminating the shackles out of strips of veneer bent around the jig? - this would make the shackles appear striped when viewed from the front and may be be a little more visual as the layers would follow the curve of the shackle.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Wow Herb those or gorgeous!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

Herb
Herb,

I think you are on the right track in making them work better by smoothing out the mechanism. Maybe a little sanding with a finer grit paper and a little wax.

I know when I made the latches for aircraft cabinetry if they did not operate smoothly i would polish the matching surfaces with finer and finer grit compound and they would work great.

Reactions: Herb Stoops
1 - 20 of 21 Posts