Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I am new and from turkey.I have buyed secondhand aeg gs500 router.my question; I want to install a drill chuck instead of collet.is it possible.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the Forum.

Your machine is a straight die grinder, not a router in the usually understood sense. Nevertheless, it has no-load speeds of 10 000 to 29 000 r.p.m.

It might be possible to find a drill chuck with the corresponding internal thread, but I think it might be unwise to do so. I cannot think that anybody makes a drill chuck which is balanced for those speeds. I have a small chuck for a Dremel tool, which operates at similar speeds, but that is much smaller than your tool.

Might I ask what you plan to use the tool for?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hello N/A, welcome to the forums...
We're happy you found us...

the drill chuck idea should be put to rest...
even if you could do it, balance will become a major issue..
a drill chuck has a lot of mass and out of balance can likely destroy the router's bearing or even lead to total catastrophic failure...

Reactions: roxanne562001

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
One of our members who has passed away did put a drill bit in a router collet on a plunge router if I remember correctly. It was years ago when I read that. He also used a speed control to slow the router down to about 1500 rpm. In my mind there is no advantage between that and using a drill which is meant for the job.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
As Biagio stated, it's a die grinder, not a router. having said that, it may well accept metric shank router bits...?
Still, with no router base, kind of hard to figure out how you'd be able to rout with it.
Sort of handy having a die grinder available to you though; lots of stuff you can do with it. Drilling might be a bit chancy though.
https://www.aeg-powertools.eu/en-eu/products/metalworking/die-grinders/gs-500-e
AEG has a pretty solid reputation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi thanks for your replies.first I will make a router base for my machine, and I want to replace a drill chuck because I want to work all of bits ( 6mm, 8mm, 12mm shank bits)

·
Registered
530 Posts
@inecik,
AEG supplies 6mm, 1/4 inch and 8mm collets for that machine. The drill chuck will be dangerous. Rather get the collets.
And forget about 12mm - that machine is only 500W - you will not get a decent result, even if you could find a collet to fit the 12mm bits.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
The drill chuck was not made to take the sideways forces that are used when routing. This could damage the tool and in the worst scenario could cause a very bad bodily injury. Find a router to put in the table so you don't hurt yourself and you will be able to do the work you are trying to do safely.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Inicik should be OK if he sticks with the Dremel concept and only uses OEM collets, aas Biagio pointed out, especially since they are available.
Everyone is agreement that the drill chuck concept is just a really bad idea! That's a lot of mass to spin at 25K rpm!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts