Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody made one?
i started off talking about it as a conversation starter at a party, and suddenly I'm doing it.

My first thought was to make a joke one, but in looking for scraps I've found a piece of walnut that is almost a neck before I even start working it. I have a box (not cigar) thats already the right proportions so now its getting serious.
Dont you just hate it when that happens?

It will be electric, I've been given a pick up and string(s) I might make a one string.
Ideas and suggestions welcome, as long as you realise this is NOT a serious guitar, and I dont want to spend a thousand hours inlaying ivory or bone.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Bob, I haven't even heard of a cigar box guitar. What were they smoking at this party? Just joking! Sorry can't help you, but if you make one I'd like to see it. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

·
Super Moderator
David
3,568 Posts
I've seen quite a few and heard some very good music coming from them. I'm in the process of building my first acoustic guitar, though, so probably won't be building any cigar box guitars for a while.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have seen some on the internet, if I remember it was a video. Can't remember where or how I found it thought, sorry. Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cigar box guitar thread

There is a TV show on cable (Rhode Island PBS) called" Steve Butler's Garage". One half hour episiode was centered around making a cigar box guitar. It was well explained and demonstrated clearly. Maybe you can find it on Utube or on your local PBS. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
There is/was a TV show on in my area called "The Garage" a guy named Steve Butler built a cigar box guitar/banjo thing a couple yrs ago. He does a lot of improvised composite, (read combining dissimilar objects to create something different) projects.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I used to know a guy who put a real guitar neck on a cigar box, and kept it in his car to practice on while he was waiting for his kids to get out of various kinds of practice after school. I've also seen a couple made of bedpans. A nice metallic sound when using a slide.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a friend who makes cigar box ukuleles for people. He gives them away because he like making them. There was a luthier in ?Eugene? Oregon some years ago who specialized in cigar box instruments, but I've lost his name.

·
Premium Member
19,230 Posts
Has a drone sound to it, and it is almost s percussion instrument except for the slides.

·
Premium Member
19,230 Posts
I found a number of these on YouTube. This one has a variety of different sounds.

Here's how to build one...

Some pretty good rhythm in the last video. And in this one, some lessons on how to play the 3 string cigar box guitar.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Woodworking Masterclass - Cigar Box Guitar

When I read this thread, I remembered that Steve Hay (Woodworking Masterclass) did a series on making boxes and threw in an episode about the Cigar Box Guitar. I did a quick search and found this:
and this:

Then I also found this:

They are all a bit more complicated than the single-string version which started this thread, but they are worth a quick look.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've made two guitars and a ukulele; the latter wasn't a cigar box.

-- Rick M

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mostly I would worry about playability. With a little effort you can make one playable, with a little more effort you make one that is enjoyable to play. The sound is what it is. Hey, they are made out of cigar boxes!

-- Rick M

1 - 20 of 26 Posts