Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jim

Here's a shot of the shop made Jasper jig that can take on the brass guide,I also have a plastic one (fac.made) that can take on the 1 1/2" guide,it's a easy rework to take on the brass guides best of all you don't need to screw the jig the router base plate :) just drop the router in place and cut the cir.out.. :)

========

Free is sure good, Levon! :)

After I first heard about your jig, I called Jasper to ask about the through-hole size in some of their larger circle cutters, as I was hoping that theres might be able to work with a guide bushing. Unfortunately, there's are supposedly 1-3/4" diameter. :-(

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jim

The model number 200 comes with a 1/4" hole for a 1/4" router bit it's a easy job to open it up to take on the brass guides ( 1 3/16 or the 1 1/2" ) using the 1 1/2" guide will take out one or two of the pin holes but that's not a bit deal, most don't use it for 2" holes..anyway..

" permanent attachment" = that's the No No, the Jasper plates are 1/4" thick and that's the error with them. the screws will snap out the mounting holes very easy, if I recall it's only 1/16" thick at that point..but by using the brass guide way you will have it a very long time.

========
Hi BJ...

You sold me on the 1-1/2" guides some time ago, buddy... and I'm all *over* wanting to use them with a circle jig, for larger diameters. How did you modify the fac jig for 1-1/2-ers? Did you mount a piece of plexi under the guide and them re-drill it with forestner bits, were you able to find one with 1-1/2 or smaller hole or did you turn a larger OD guide on your lathe? The first two I could do but I don't have access to a lathe, dang it!

The 400, being round and of reasonable size could be a permanent attachment on a router unless you wanted to use guides with it but dedicating a router plunge base to the larger circle jigs would be a awkward PITA or lead to an under-utilized router. Well, unless I had a collection of routers like yours! <g>

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jim

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words :) how about 3000 words..

========

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jake

Yes, it gets stuck in the "groove" so to say but that's the best way, it will help hold the rings parts in place, once your done the dust just comes out very easy. :)

=======
Where does all the saw dust go? Won't it get stuck in the "groove"?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jake

You can always just hook your vac.. to the router and suck them out when you free them up from the stock..

=====

Wouldn't heat build up be a concern while cutting the next pass? Or would it be a good idea to remove the sawdust from the groove before the next pass?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jim

Your welcome :)

Once you punch out the hole you can use it for the bigger bits like I do, I will pop in a 1" bit and go around once to put in a lip (wabbit ) for a speaker than pop in a 1/4" bit and take out the center..

It also works very well with core bits etc.to put in a nice detail on at the same time..for clocks,like a saw blade clock etc.

=======

BJ.. Thanks for the pics! :)

Jake.. In my "one Jasper 400 cut in my life to date" experience, I noticed the groove was packed and cleaned it out with a straight screwdriver between passes. Even though the panel was vertical, some of it was packed in pretty tightly!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.