Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on building a motorized router lift for a little while now, It's been one of those (on & off) type of projects that I'm still trying to figuring things out on.

I plan to use a 24V DC 120RPM gear motor for the lift mechisium.
Wood Hardwood Gas Wood stain Flooring

To control the speed & direction of the lift motor I picked up one of these controllers off of e-bay.
Circuit component Product Computer hardware Electrical wiring Electronic engineering

I would like to make a small control panel that can be positioned above the table & behind the fence.
Something like a swing arm on a pivot, That way the control panel can be moved out of the way if needed.

I'm trying to decide on how to extend the wires so I can mount the main unit below the table & locate the control panel above the table.

Before I go ahead & cut the wires & solder in some extension sections!
I was wondering if anyone knew what these type of connectors are called?
And if there's any electronic stores that may possibly have some pre-made jumpers/extensions?
Automotive lighting Amber Electronic component Circuit component Cable
Hand Guitar accessory Automotive lighting String instrument Automotive tire
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic instrument Electronic engineering
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering

Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic component Electronic engineering Cable
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Computer hardware Audio equipment
Circuit component Light Green Hardware programmer Passive circuit component
Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Computer hardware

Doug

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've been working on building a motorized router lift for a little while now, It's been one of those (on & off) type of projects that I'm still trying to figuring things out on.

View attachment 398811

To control the speed & direction of the lift motor I picked up one of these controllers off of e-bay.
View attachment 398812

I would like to make a small control panel that can be positioned above the table & behind the fence.
Something like a swing arm on a pivot, That way the control panel can be moved out of the way if needed.

I'm trying to decide on how to extend the wires so I can mount the main unit below the table & locate the control panel above the table.

And if there's any electronic stores that may possibly have some pre-made jumpers/extensions?
View attachment 398813 View attachment 398814 View attachment 398815 View attachment 398816
View attachment 398818 View attachment 398819 View attachment 398820 View attachment 398821

Doug

View attachment 398811

View attachment 398812

View attachment 398813 View attachment 398814 View attachment 398815 View attachment 398816
View attachment 398818 View attachment 398819 View attachment 398820 View attachment 398821

Doug
Amazon and e-bay bot have jumpers I bought some last year and I believe they they are called 7mm pin connectors although I wouldn't swear to it.

·
Registered
Paul
2,100 Posts
No idea what they are called but those are very common. They are 1/10th of an inch spacing, the same as old through-hole ICs... the most common spacing for micro-controller projects. Is that 7mm, Roland? You see them used for desktop computer fans etc. Many of the cables that you find might be intended for signal levels, you'd probably need heavier ones for running your motor, Doug.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do a search for 'circuit board connectors' and you'll get thousands of hits.
Yeah I originally tried that & your right there's tons of them that all look similar?
My best guess is the ones called JST style PH or XH for the white connectors, And for the black connectors I believe their just called a 2.54mm header pin connector.

Doug

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No idea what they are called but those are very common. They are 1/10th of an inch spacing, the same as old through-hole ICs... the most common spacing for micro-controller projects.
Not really sure what their called either, But like you mentioned that (1/10th of an inch spacing) does seem to be a standard for most micro-controllers.

Many of the cables that you find might be intended for signal levels, you'd probably need heavier ones for running your motor,
Yeah the wires on my connectors are probably only 26ga. & meant for low voltage & current.
The connections for the input power & motor on the controller are standard screw terminals, So I'll probably use 20ga. wire. The 24V gear motor only draws 2.2amps, So 20ga. wire should handle 2X the load.

Doug

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
In the 2nd photo, look for "dupont" connectors. Lots of choices. You should get a crimper. I'd get a kit like this. I can't vouch for that vendor or the quality of the kit - there are literally hundreds out there. 4th photo, those are 100mil (.1 inch, 2.54mm) pitch pin headers. they go with the dupont connectors.

First photo looks like a JST connector or clone but there are sooo many variants - all have 100 mil pitch. Hard to tell from the photo.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First photo looks like a JST connector or clone but there are sooo many variants - all have 100 mil pitch.
I believe they are the JST PH style?

In the 2nd photo, look for "dupont" connectors. Lots of choices.
Yeah & as many descriptions.o_O

Doing a little more checking around I noticed the term "Dupont" mentioned several times.
I managed to find some pre-crimped wires from this place

Doug

·
Registered
44 Posts
The way I would extend the wires is to just cut them, solder in the length you need, then heat shrink the joints. Not much point to finding whatever off brand clone fits those and gearing up to crimp the contacts on properly for this kind of job.

But that's just me, I've seen lots of troubles that come from mixing and matching and using any old 100 mil pitch thing that will kinda fit - when I worked for an observatory we had one telescope down for a week because the expert got a non-indexed connector offset by one pin, I've seen that happen many times. Granted it was a lot more complex than what you're setting up, so probably my horror of make do connector matches is unjustified :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The way I would extend the wires is to just cut them, solder in the length you need, then heat shrink the joints.
Yeah I'm probably going to go that route with the little white connecters
Automotive lighting Amber Electronic component Circuit component Cable
Circuit component Amber Electrical wiring Automotive lighting Cable

I haven't been able to find any pre-made male/female extensions for those connectors, Plus the forward/reverse switch & potentiomer ends are soldered & heat shrunk already.
Circuit component Automotive lighting Technology Electrical wiring Electrical supply

Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.