Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has successfully designed or found a clamping system and/or device that works well for clamping together a picture frame that consists of compound mitered work pieces????

Jerry Bowen

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just attempting to get this thread back up into the New Post area and hoping for some help or ideas on the subject.

Jerry

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
This item from Lee Valley might do it. Spring Clamps & Pliers - Lee Valley Tools

If that doesn't work think about using a good sticky masking tape. Many joints can be held together with it. Maybe adding biscuits or splines at the corners would help stabilize it.

I don't know if it will be possible to put much pressure on the corners but if they fit really well together you probably don't need much. One last option I have is to take a piece of ply/mdf/osb/ or particle board that is bigger than your frame and fix 2 boards at 90 degrees to each other and then 2 adjustable boards and gently squeeze it all together. If you tape the bottom of the joints together and squeeze the tops just enough to keep the joints together it should work.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I like a method I seen on the Tommy Mac Donald show, "Rough Cut" PBS. He makes blocks that He glues on the outer edges of each board. Then by taking clamps and tightening them on the corners draws them together nicely, and You can see each glue joint perfectly. The blocks have 3 sides One 90 degree and one 45 degree edge. Putting a clamp on the two glue box 45 degree edge gives You the terfect gluing line. Use a softer wood, and any bits and pieaces that remain on Your frame after chiseling off the glue block, can be easily planed off!

Reactions: jrod48

·
Registered
300 Posts
Here's what I used for picture frames, although I don't make compound miters.

Clamping_1597.JPG

Clamping_1598.JPG

Those little corner pieces help with the glue up. These 'glue blocks' are just triangle scrap glued to a little piece of hardwood with sandpaper attached to the bottom. They are clamped to the picture frame with the Quick Clamps. Then I use the Bessey to draw the two corners together. Once again sandpaper insures they don't slip in the process.

You get excellent clamping pressure and I only work on two corners at a time so I really nice fit. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Anyone use the Merle clamp?
Success? Fail? Something in between?

I'm about to pull the trigger at MLCS....
Hey Ralph..

I have two clamps similar to the Merle. Both have nylon bands rather than steel. One is a Craftsman and the other, I think is a Bessey. I'd have to check. For frame work, I love em both... work great, provide plenty of pressure. Not sure of what you plan to use em for,, but I"d have no problem rec. them.

Bill

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Hey Ralph..

I have two clamps similar to the Merle. Both have nylon bands rather than steel. One is a Craftsman and the other, I think is a Bessey. I'd have to check. For frame work, I love em both... work great, provide plenty of pressure. Not sure of what you plan to use em for,, but I"d have no problem rec. them.

Bill
Thanks,
I'm thinking picture frames to start with. I bought the Incra V120 miter gauge and my first frame turned out spot on but I wasn't happy with the clamping method I'm using.

I'll have to post a picture of that method. I'll add to my post when I get the pics.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Ralph...

they are just great for picture frames...If you get a model that you can acquire additonal corners you can easily do more than 4 corners. They are also great for boxes, large and small and if you have 2, they work great on tall boxes as well,,,blanket chests, toy chests etc....it'll be a welcome addition to your shop

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Hey Ralph..

Bill
Hey Bill--does that style of clamp work on frames with unequal corners? Say a triangle with 2 45's and a 90 or a 30-60-90 degree triangle? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Hey Bill--does that style of clamp work on frames with unequal corners? Say a triangle with 2 45's and a 90 or a 30-60-90 degree triangle? Thanks!!
Earl, I can't say I've ever tried that. The clamp works by applying equal pressure to each of the corners via the banding. AS you tighten down the clamp by pulling the band thru the clamp,direct inward pressure is applied to each corner. Again, can't say I've tried it, but to my eye, I would think that it would work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts