Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to build a very small shelf clock for a xmas gift. I will either use oak or beech and probably a minwax waterbase or pastel whitewash stain. My question is, what is the best clear finish to use over it without getting an amber or yellow tint.

Thanks, Rusty

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Rusty, I would pose this question to Michael Dresdner, he is the finishing expert from The Woodworkers Journal. Post your question at www.woodanswers.com and let us know what he says.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi, Rusty:
If you want a clear finish, without any yellowing use a water based top coat. I have used Varathane Diamond Elite for a long time and it never yellows. Finishes that are oil/solvent based will bring out a yellow tint. Woodnut65

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Jerry, Have you noticed a difference when using different brands together? By this I am asking if Rusty uses a Minwax water based stain should he stick with that brand for the water based top coat? It seems like the chemistry of the products would work the best by staying with the same brand. Any truth in this?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody, I used the minwax water based stain. And minwax spray on water base polycrylic. It turned out really nice.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.