Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother loves Art Deco inspired home furnishings, so I made this clock as a Christmas present for him. The clock body was machined from Peruvian Walnut and is two 3/4" pieces glued together. The wings, also walnut, are 3/4" with the outside portion pocketed down to 1/2". The base is 3/4" Tiger Maple. I used the cnc spoilboard as a jig to setup for gluing on the wings. I have the back of the clock body vcarved with his name and "Christmas 2018". I will give it to him Saturday at his home for Christmas Dinner.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Well designed and built. Must have been a trip, going to Peru for wood. Not familiar with that "brand" of walnut. Looks nice. Thanks for sharing the project and the build.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice looking clock, Bob! Do you order Peruvian Walnut or can you get it locally to you? I would have to order it.

David
Cardwell Hardwoods, 28 mile drive to Jefferson City MO, has a huge selection of hardwoods and about every wood working tool imaginable. Every time I visit them I spend to much money! On the last trip I also bought Australian Blood Wood which is beautiful and can't wait to use it.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well designed and built. Must have been a trip, going to Peru for wood. Not familiar with that "brand" of walnut. Looks nice. Thanks for sharing the project and the build.
I can't take total credit for the design. I remembered seeing the clock in Woodsmith Magazine several years ago. I dug out my old copies and found it. The original design was half the size and had only 1 wing on each side, body was 3/4" thick and wings 1/2" thick. I also rounded over all of the top edges

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
sweet!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can't take total credit for the design. I remembered seeing the clock in Woodsmith Magazine several years ago. I dug out my old copies and found it. The original design was half the size and had only 1 wing on each side, body was 3/4" thick and wings 1/2" thick. I also rounded over all of the top edges
Nicely done. You've added to a design to make it your own. I like it. I made the original a few years ago, didn't have the insight to take it further than the print.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Nice looking clock. I'm sure he will love it.

I love using Peruvian Walnut, it machines well and it is amazing how dark the Peruvian Walnut gets when you apply the finish.

Reactions: MoHawk
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.