Router Forums banner

CMT complete set for MDF doors

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TimPa 
#1 ·
I recently purchase a set of cutters for my CNC router to make MDF doors. The set I purchased is the CMT 615.004.01. I am fairly new to the CNC world but like to get stuck in so I do a lot of searching for advice when I try something new. What I have found with CMT tooling is there is very little information on their website and they are not prepared to help and point out that if you have technical questions you should go back to the reseller.

My problem is the cutter set comes with no instructions or tool profile information. I have asked for information from the supplier but they have not been that helpful yet. Has anybody else purchased this set of cutters and if so do they normally come with a set of instructions. When I first opened my set I had the impression it had been opened before since the lid was not closed properly and the tool to replace the blades was missing. The box itself has a cutout in the foam which looks like it would store a set of instructions but there is nothing inside and the front sticker shows a picture which I assume means refer to instructions.

Also to use the set I need to draw the cutter profile to scale in Vcarve but I do not have this information and apparently, CMT does not have any cad drawings that they could pass on.

Do any of the members have any information on the cutter set they could please provide me with and if possible point me to a video of how to correctly use the cutters to create doors.

See less See more
#3 ·
Does this help. It shows the dimensions of the profiles of each bit.

I found this by searching on the cmt part number so you may have already done that and found this to be lacking.
I did find this but it is lacking some of the required dimensions, but thank you. It's just disappointing that a tool manufacture does not have online information. I have had the same problem with other CMT bits, the do not list any feed rates, chipload or plunge depth on there website.

#4 ·
I figured as much. This pdf does show feed rates. It's not unusual for bit manufacturers to not show all the information we would like for our CNC use. Many times it is because the bit was not marketed as a "CNC mill". So, all the information that we want so that we can plug it into our cnd databases is irrelevant to the manufacturer. You likely already know this, but you can scan in an image of the cut the bit makes and use that as a basis for your database in some cnc CAM applications.

#6 ·
but you can scan in an image of the cut the bit makes and use that as a basis for your database in some cnc CAM applications.
Also have a digital caliper handy for real world cuts. No it may not get arcs & such.

Would this PDF help? Looks to be Italian and in Metric. Maybe scale it to size if it's out of scale.

Attachments

#8 ·
I still have not had any joy with getting accurate information regarding the cutter set. CMT has forwarded a DXF file but the dimensions do not match those taken with my vernier. I have played around in Vcarve and have managed to get a profile that looks OK in the center of the door but I can not figure out how to accurately cut out the door to size with the first tool since the DXF shows 36mm diameter which does not match the measurement taken with verniers. I guess it's going to be a trial and error approach. Vcarve has provided a diameter of 54.32mm this has been obtained by using the profile from the DXF drawing, but I do not have a clue on what depth of cut this is achieved at. With spending over £500 on a cutter set, I was honestly expecting a little bit of information to go with them. They have designed and marketed a set of cutters to create a profile as per the website but provide no information on how to achieve it. I plan to go and waste more money this week cutting up good sheets of MDF to figure out the information they should provide.

#9 ·
although i do not have the CMT set, i use mdf style cutters for panels made of hardwoods, mostly for the decorative "faux raised panel" effect in the field of the panel (not the edge). using a Yonico 1 1/8" dia bit, (not an insert like yours), i am cutting .405 deep 14K @ 100 ipm, in 3 passes. mdf may not be far from this, i dunno...

i look at this type of cutter as a multi-profile router bit, where you can use as little or as much of the cutter that you wish by controlling the depth of the cut. so experimentation on some scrap wood with the bit(s) should help you with "how deep and how wide" your results will be. NOTE: material surface must be accurate in the set up, to know how deep your machine is cutting.

fwiw most bit suppliers only provide "general" feeds and speeds information for their bits, and suggest that you determine what will work best for your machine, your material, your project.

good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.