Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you guys like the CNC routers. Well and good, it's your money. I wouldn't have one myself, because even if I could justify the money, it would take the fun out of woodworking for me. Different story if I had a production shop. Ran across this, and figured almost everyone would like to see it. Personally, I'm more the chainsaw and lathe type.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
chainsaw on a lathe...
now that's interesting...

the chainsaw being used as the turning tool...

shouldn't have said anything..
more than likely somebody is already doing just that...

·
Registered
Theo
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
chainsaw on a lathe...
now that's interesting...

the chainsaw being used as the turning tool...

shouldn't have said anything..
more than likely somebody is already doing just that...
I never thought of a chainsaw, well, except for totem pole carving. Best I've come up with for lathe work is a hand power planer, works like a champ. Can't get fun like that with a CNC. I love woodworking.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
right angle grinder carver attachment...

·
Registered
Theo
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, maybe for touchup, but chainsaw is my choice for a precision cutting tool. Much more noise, much more sawdust, much more fun. No, wait, for touchup I use carving chisels and carving mallets. Which reminds me, I have enough wood stashed away for more four tikis. Now just need to get the energy to move it.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
another way...

·
Registered
655 Posts
On that first machine (the multiple spindle) what kind of wood is spindle number 8 carving?

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
That chainsaw part looked dangerously scary to me . Actually the whole thing is so big it kinda makes me cringe .
Great outcome though

·
Registered
Theo
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That chainsaw part looked dangerously scary to me .
Nah, that's what people used to tell me, about using a power planer on the lathe. Said any knots would catch. Never happened, because at 20,000 rpm, or what ever, zipped thru knots like they weren't even there. Very smooth operation really. I found it fantastic for rounding slightly out of round pieces. Fast tho, very fast, had to be very careful about taking too much off - quickly. Loads of fun too. Now just need to get another lathe, already got two electric chainsaws. LMAO

Which reminds me, sure would like to get more details on that lathe.

·
Registered
Theo
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another way...
I'll pass. Had thought of getting one of these, Air Impact Hammer Kit
and welding wood chisels on, but I figure I'd get a lot more control using a carving chisel and mallet, and work as fast, or faster. Certainly faster and easier to change the chisel.

·
Registered
749 Posts
My buddy has a large tabled CNC with one head. He no longer has a shaper or router table. Too easy for him do all that with his CNC.

Only problem is it is old with Windows 98 drivers. I just had to build him a Windows 98 laptop because his old one died. It is getting harder to find Windows 98 compatible hardware.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Hi, Theo.

Isaw a lot of these machines in a woodworking fair at Beijing and, I agree with you
"... because even if I could justify the money, it would take the fun out of woodworking for me."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts