Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new here, looking for some help regarding machine setup/config.
After getting tired of the size limitation of my little 3018 I decided to build something a little bigger so I started piecing together a 1000x1500 unit, water cooled 2.2kw spindle, gantry frame, nema 23 closed loop steppers.....

Trying to 'get it going' with a 'duino for now but the drivers dont appear to want to accept instruction....
With the drivers powered up the Steppers hold position and when sending a Jog command the enable signal unlocks the steppers however the steppers just squeal. Im guesing there is a problem with the Pulse/Step but I cannot work it out.... I have tried various step durations, as according to the manual for the chinese drivers it needs to be longer than 10millisecond, with no luck...

The steppers operate fine using a CNC shield (abit much for the little drivers, the get warm quickly) so they are not an issue...
The supplier states the steppers will not work without the drivers (obviously they do just not in a closed loop fashion)
and made remark about not using Mach3 for control but i think a language barrier may be an issue getting info there...

Any suggestions/advice much appreciated....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey, new here, looking for some help regarding machine setup/config.
After getting tired of the size limitation of my little 3018 I decided to build something a little bigger so I started piecing together a 1000x1500 unit, water cooled 2.2kw spindle, gantry frame, nema 23 closed loop steppers.....

Trying to 'get it going' with a 'duino for now but the drivers dont appear to want to accept instruction....
With the drivers powered up the Steppers hold position and when sending a Jog command the enable signal unlocks the steppers however the steppers just squeal. Im guesing there is a problem with the Pulse/Step but I cannot work it out.... I have tried various step durations, as according to the manual for the chinese drivers it needs to be longer than 10millisecond, with no luck...

The steppers operate fine using a CNC shield (abit much for the little drivers, the get warm quickly) so they are not an issue...
The supplier states the steppers will not work without the drivers (obviously they do just not in a closed loop fashion)
and made remark about not using Mach3 for control but i think a language barrier may be an issue getting info there...

Any suggestions/advice much appreciated....
Pictures, product vendor/model number and the software you are using might help... I'm guessing you are probably using generic stepper drivers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures, product vendor/model number and the software you are using might help... I'm guessing you are probably using generic stepper drivers?
Arduino Uno - GRBL
24v 400w supply (I read something about 36v being a better supply voltage for this drivers/steppers in another post, surely I can at least get it to move before getting bigger power supplies?)
Universal G.Code Sender
Table legs are just temporary :D

'US $73.44 28% OFF|4 axis Closed loop motor kit: nema 23 Stepper motor Closed Loop system+servo Drive HBS57H with 3M cable cnc part|DC Motor| - AliExpress'

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,344 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I only see one wire coming from each driver. Are you sure you have everything hooked up that should be hooked up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only see one wire coming from each driver. Are you sure you have everything hooked up that should be hooked up?
haha sorry chief that shot was during setup,
the drivers are wired with a shared 24v supply
encoders wired as spec'd in manual,
inputs have shared 5v on all + pins and EN - , DIR - and PUL - go to corresponding pins on arduino
Steppers are wired as spec'd in manual also

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You don't need the larger power supply to get it to move. A larger power supply will give you faster rapid and feed rates but make sure you don't overpower the drivers and burn them out. I'm not really familiar with your 'Duino controller but you might check your step settings because squealing steppers is one sign of bad step settings. They may just sit there and squeal without moving like you are experiencing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts