Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a guy locally that could cut a work table top for me. Actually, he cut two out of the sheet of 3/4 mdf.

One of these is going with me to Oklahoma soon to do some work on our kids house they bought recently. :grin:

The dimensions are 32 x 48. The holes are 3/4 inch on 4 inch centers with a second row spaced at two inches.

I also had the guy cut a pair of hand holes so it will be easier to carry, and they work well.

First chance I get, I will run a round-over bit around the outside and all of the holes.

Then I plan to roll on several coats of clear finish to help prevent glue and spills from messing up this purty little thing.

I modified a pair of 2x4's to fit some saw horses like the guy did in this video. The top should fit it nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,195 Posts
A nice looking and sized table top, Mike. I like the way the cross supports are cut to fit the saw horses. That should give you a convenient and solid work surface.

·
Registered
Paul
1,867 Posts
That looks very handy, Mike. I guess one could notch wooden horses to use the same set-up. I usually just put a piece of ply across horses to make a temporary bench - that would be much straighter and sturdier.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good Mike. That's very close to the size I had planned for my cutting bench, can I ask how much you paid to have the holes drilled?
$80.00USD.:grin:
I sent him my drawing and he drew it up in CAD. That was basically the charge.

I was there to watch the machine work. It's an EZRouter or something like that. Man, I would like to have one like that. No room for it, though.:frown:

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you find your guy? By the way next week the Valu home center will be having sale next week on those saw horses for $25.
I made a post on a fishing forum I belong to asking about someone with a big CNC, and VOILA!, a guy that lives 18 miles from me (via freeway mostly) said he could do it.

Here is a picture. Dang it is bad quality.
He had just got started on the first one.

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well now that you have 2 you could make any size you want. I just posted on the mft thread about buying an mft top and using it to make the size I want similar to shelf pin holes.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, So I got to thinking...what am I going to use to protect the surface of these mdf tops?

I heard water base poly was a no-no. :surprise:
What about lacquer sprayed on the surface?
Shellac?

What I want to do is protect the surface from glue and paint or stain messing it up, if that is possible.

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
OK, So I got to thinking...what am I going to use to protect the surface of these mdf tops?

Shellac?

What I want to do is protect the surface from glue and paint or stain messing it up, if that is possible.
Glue on Arborite , then drill out the holes and route them out flush again ?
I know , I always overthink things :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Mike,

A couple coats of either shellac or laquer should do it. MDF already comes with a coating on it.

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

Shellac?

Several coats of Bullseye shellac, sanding with fine paper between coats, finish with a buffed out coat of paste wax.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Several coats of Bullseye shellac, sanding with fine paper between coats, finish with a buffed out coat of paste wax.
Just took inventory. I have about 1/2 gallon of the Bulls Eye Shellac, and two partial cans of Deft lacquer.

I think I will save the lacquer for another job.

So Bulls Eye Shellac it is. Maybe today, but most likely, it will be tomorrow.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I found a guy but his machine only has a bed of max 24 by 36 he has to do it in 2 passes . I will end up with 6ft by 2ft but I will leave the panel actual 3ft maybe even 40 inches width and from the off cut make a template to extend holes to full width of the panel. Hopefully the template will be accurate enough.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hey mike have you made any cuts with your tracksaw to see how well it works? Maybe I can get rid of my radial arm saw.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey mike have you made any cuts with your tracksaw to see how well it works? Maybe I can get rid of my radial arm saw.
Not yet. I did lay out a 4 foot drywall square, and it is perfect.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@roofner

Just for you! :grin:

I scrounged up a piece of plywood for a test cut.

It looks like I need to refine my cutting technique. The dowels I used had a little play (not much but just a little). And they could have been longer. :surprise:

So, with the stuff I had on hand, I made a cut and it is off about 1/16th inch.

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day, so it may be next week before I can check things out.

One thing I noticed is my track has a lip on the outer edge. That may have been the culprit. Or, the holes may be off slightly. I hope not.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 63 Posts