Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a CNC router. I have many years of hobby experience but am novice to CNC. When I build the system, I would like to have a fourth axis capability. My intent would be to build a lathe type spindle on the end of the three axis table. The forth servo would be mounted in the head stock. At this time, a swing of 6 inches and an length of 18 would be adequate.

I understand others have done this. How and where would I find more information?
harrylg

·
Official Greeter
19,730 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Harry.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I used a ModelMaster CNC 1000 (desktop 4-axis CNC) for doing master waxes in the jewelry design/manufacturing business. The 4th axis was a Sherline 4-jaw self-centering chuck mounted so I could do the rotary cutting around the circumference of rings, and also for doing double-sided flat/flip cutting operations. This machine might have had about 8" of travel in the y-axis (c-axis was rotary). I used DeskProto for the G-code generator and it worked flawlessly, and accurate within 0.005 mm. Fun stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.