Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing around with rope designs and efficient process on how to make them in Blender.

Super easy way:
Model/make a single segment of the rope > create an array from the segment > follow curve modifier

Grey Violet Electric blue Pattern Magenta

Here are a few different models/patterns I made:

Brown Wood Art Creative arts Font

And here is a pattern for your carving fun. Rope heart chain for a border.
Grey Handwriting Font Asphalt Pattern

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul,

I've made many Celtic knot patterns and one of my old dragon clocks has one already.

I normally use tiles to build the knots. I made the individual components and then you tile them together to make any pattern you want.

You can also build a single element and throw into a curve as well just like the rope above.

Wood Font Creative arts Ornament Art

Body jewelry Headgear Font Rectangle Circle

Outerwear Sleeve T-shirt Jersey Headgear

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Using this curve method is super easy and very fast. This Celtic knot might have taken a whole 5 minutes to make (once you have the process down). One bezier curve and one bezier circle and one rope segment.

What the curves look like:
Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Symmetry

For your PhotoShopping fun:

Red Rope Font Magenta Wire

And, more importantly, for your carving fun:

Black Automotive tire Font Cable Technology

For my collection I may try barbed wire next.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The barbed wire collection was a nice experiment but the patterns would be tricky. This render was done at 8 inches by .15" height. I've been making patterns long enough this gives me an idea of practicality. This would be okay but that is a fairly large carve with limited application for me.

Plant Wood Tree Art Font

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I hate to say it but it couldn't be easier or faster. Once you have the technique down it probably takes about 30 seconds to do.

There is little to no modeling required. Its all done with modifiers.

Start with a cube > move a face so the cube slants > add subdivision > [optional: select lines and shrink to mimic wound string of rope] > use array modifier > use follow curve modifier > set number in array to cover the curve > done

This took less than 5 minutes to do for all it. I used the optional step for this one. You can of course take more time to add more detail and make it better with modeling and digital sculpting.

Asphalt Road surface Art Font Sidewalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
The ropes look very good.
I'm somewhat past the point of wanting to learn cnc, programs and models, especially 3D. I do like the work they can produce.
Good to see we have a source here for our future projects needing rope details.
Thank you for posting Oscar.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The biggest difference between them is time vs money.

Carveco is an amazing tool but it's also $1200 dollars for the perpetual license.

Blender is 100% free but insanely complicated because it can do so much. So it takes time (maybe a lot of time to become proficient). But its free.

Personally, I use both my cnc and 3d modeling software to get what I need. Some tools are better at doing specific things than others.

Having a cnc hobby is not cheap so its nice to have a free tool every once in a while. Sorry, not a fan boy but it is a very good piece of software for being free.

Here is the software tool set I use to make my patterns:
CW Designer with STL importer = $600
VCarve Pro = $700 (No clue how to use it yet)
ZBrush = $900
3dCoat = $450
Character Creator 3 suite = ~$1000
ShaderMap4 Pro = $50
Davinci Video VFX editor/compositor = $600

Blender can literally do everything the above software can do and its free. Sometimes faster/better and sometimes not. There is even a build that can generate g-code from geometry but my understanding it's very basic. I don't use it so hearsay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts