Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a no name brand cnc router from china. It has a 6mm shank collet. I would like to use a 1/4" shank bit. I have found many collet reducers but I can't figure out how to increase the shank size. Are the multiple sized collet sets for sale what I should purchase? If so how do I know which set would work?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My guess is that you have a ER11A mandrel which uses readily available collets and collet nuts. If it is ER11A the max diameter tool (collet) you will be able to use is 5/16".

I'm not sure about the "reducers" you are finding but typically you would want a collet specifically for the tool you want to use. In other words a 1/4" collet for a 1/4" tool shank. The collet sets sold is a good way to get all the various sizes that you will need - plus many that you will never use. Optionally you can buy just the collets that you want to use.

You will also want to invest in some extra collet nuts.

Myself, I use mostly 1/8" and 1/4" but I also have a tool with a 3/16" shank that I use occasionally. I have collets and nuts for each. I generally source them off of Ebay but there are others selling them.

·
Registered
Retired old fart working with wood
186 Posts
I purchased a Chinese cnc also. The spindle takes the ER11 collets. You can go on EBay and purchase an entire set for under $20. Check the chuck to make sure which size your spindle takes.

Reactions: difalkner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.