Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
jack of many trades
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new in cnc world, and my machine is currently being built. Its sort of a hobby machine, 1400x900x130mm, 2,2kw spindle, watercooled, etc. etc.
As i am preparing my workshop for it now, i am wondering, what should i use for removing woodchips and dust? I've seen people use both those workshop vacuum cleaners, and bigger dust and chips removal systems (with cyclone and without). Most of my work will be in wood. At the moment i have 480v 1,1kw dust and chips removal, which is connected to my planer-jointer, but i do have one more branch to connect to and could use it for this.
Should i go with that, or should i buy an independent machine just for cnc? I got some nice offer on old elektra beckum 500w chips removal system. Or should i buy some workshop vacuum? Anyone have experiences with both?
Thank you all in advance!

·
Administrator
David
3,843 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I primarily use the Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector for my shop and CNC but also use a shop vac for some functions. The HF unit does a good job of collecting dust and chips on the CNC. I also upgraded to the Wynn cartridge filter to replace the 5 micron bag filter that comes on the unit.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,535 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
jack of many trades
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum! I primarily use the Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector for my shop and CNC but also use a shop vac for some functions. The HF unit does a good job of collecting dust and chips on the CNC. I also upgraded to the Wynn cartridge filter to replace the 5 micron bag filter that comes on the unit.
Hey David, thank you for your answer. I presume u use shop vac "from the hand"? For some specific stuff. I will try to rearange the workshop to connect both machines to the dust removal. Thinking about electricity, 1.1kw aint little added beside 2.2kw the spindle spends, on the long run, thats why i was considering some smaller machine like Metabo Spa1200 or similar (500w).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey David, thank you for your answer. I presume u use shop vac "from the hand"? For some specific stuff. I will try to rearange the workshop to connect both machines to the dust removal. Thinking about electricity, 1.1kw aint little added beside 2.2kw the spindle spends, on the long run, thats why i was considering some smaller machine like Metabo Spa1200 or similar (500w).
Welcome to the forum.

To be honest the 1.1kW and 2.2kW are peak power. In reality from the spindle especially, you will rarely see the full 2.2kW unless your pushing it. I routinely take 0.2 inch depth of cut with a 0.1 inch stepover at 300 ipm feedrate from a 1/4 inch endmill and gwizard (you should check the application out for feeds and speeds) calculates spindle load around 40%.

However if the dust collector and spindle power exceed your rated current carrying capacity for the circuit or subpanel you should consider alternatives.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello everyone. I am new in cnc world, and my machine is currently being built. Its sort of a hobby machine, 1400x900x130mm, 2,2kw spindle, watercooled, etc. etc.
As i am preparing my workshop for it now, i am wondering, what should i use for removing woodchips and dust? I've seen people use both those workshop vacuum cleaners, and bigger dust and chips removal systems (with cyclone and without). Most of my work will be in wood. At the moment i have 480v 1,1kw dust and chips removal, which is connected to my planer-jointer, but i do have one more branch to connect to and could use it for this.
Should i go with that, or should i buy an independent machine just for cnc? I got some nice offer on old elektra beckum 500w chips removal system. Or should i buy some workshop vacuum? Anyone have experiences with both?
Thank you all in advance!
Unfortunately there is no one size fits all solution. Some people prioritize dust collection, and others do not.

I am in a similar position to you. I have been waiting months for my CNC to be built, but I was just notified that my CNC is done! I will pick it up in the next couple of days. My machine will be slightly smaller--it's a ShopSabre 23. It has a 30"x 40" working surface (762x1016mm). Also 1.7kw air cooled spindle.

My mindset is to create a mini-factory, so fine dust collection/ control is high on my list of priorities. Chip collection is obvious, but fine dust is a problem both for health and cleanlines. I want to be able to do clean operations like mixing resin, cutting cloth, etc while the CNC is running, and I will be literaly 10' (3m) away.

My solution is a large cyclone with an efficient filter, lots of ductwork, and a PVC curtain around the CNC. The curtain separates the router from the rest of the shop, and I will have two 4" (100mm) pipes drawing vacuum from inside the curtain--one connects to the dust boot on the router, and the other is just open. Idea is to draw clean air into the enclosed space, preventing the dust from getting out.

Another member built a box out of foam insulation around his CNC, and connected a small vacuum to it. It prevents fine dust from spreading.

My dust collector is a 5hp cyclone (3.7kw). It is bigger than what I need right now, but it allows me to add more equipment later on. And it has really good filtration. The typical small dust collector with a bag filter is likely to fill the air with fine dust. Fine dust probably isn't a problem with your planer, since planers make large shavings. But a router will make more find dust.

(I will create a thread with more details once I have everything put together. But right now everything is ordered, I'm waiting for everything to be delivered.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your setup. I made about 30 nice oak presentations this last 3 weeks. Carved a 11x17" 70 year old maple plaque this last week. It took me 2 times of carving to get it near perfection that is a lot of text to try and carve on the same plane. Good stuff guys thanks for sharing your experiences!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My mindset is to create a mini-factory, so fine dust collection/ control is high on my list of priorities. Chip collection is obvious, but fine dust is a problem both for health and cleanlines. I want to be able to do clean operations like mixing resin, cutting cloth, etc while the CNC is running, and I will be literaly 10' (3m) away.

My solution is a large cyclone with an efficient filter, lots of ductwork, and a PVC curtain around the CNC. The curtain separates the router from the rest of the shop, and I will have two 4" (100mm) pipes drawing vacuum from inside the curtain--one connects to the dust boot on the router, and the other is just open. Idea is to draw clean air into the enclosed space, preventing the dust from getting out.

Another member built a box out of foam insulation around his CNC, and connected a small vacuum to it. It prevents fine dust from spreading.

My dust collector is a 5hp cyclone (3.7kw). It is bigger than what I need right now, but it allows me to add more equipment later on. And it has really good filtration. The typical small dust collector with a bag filter is likely to fill the air with fine dust. Fine dust probably isn't a problem with your planer, since planers make large shavings. But a router will make more find dust.
I did something similar, I built a full dust enclosure around my CNC router. My machine is 4x4 but has a 50x50 workspace. I then bought a 3hp dust collector and made a dust plenum and put it up on top. I need to redo my doors with some proper plywood but it keeps the dust in quite well. The best thing you can do is have good dust collection and ensure the dust shoe you touches the work surface.

The pictures here are before it was finished but you get the gist.

IMG_20201125_224435.jpg IMG_20201217_232632.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did something similar, I built a full dust enclosure around my CNC router. My machine is 4x4 but has a 50x50 workspace. I then bought a 3hp dust collector and made a dust plenum and put it up on top. I need to redo my doors with some proper plywood but it keeps the dust in quite well. The best thing you can do is have good dust collection and ensure the dust shoe you touches the work surface.

The pictures here are before it was finished but you get the gist.

View attachment 398725 View attachment 398726

I like it! I'm curious why you didn't locate it in a corner? My workshop/ garage is barely big enough for everything I am trying to do, so my constant battle is to find the most efficient use of space. For example, I have to install my dust collector outside my shop, and then I am exhausting the air back inside the shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like it! I'm curious why you didn't locate it in a corner? My workshop/ garage is barely big enough for everything I am trying to do, so my constant battle is to find the most efficient use of space. For example, I have to install my dust collector outside my shop, and then I am exhausting the air back inside the shop.
One of my biggest reasons I didn't put it in the corner was I needed to access my router on two sides. If I would have put it in the corner I wouldn't have been able to use the space in front because it would block access to the doors. Also, since I didn't put it in the corner, I use the space behind (7 feet or so) to house my woodworking workbenches with built in tablesaw, jointer and planer. I also have my bandsaw back there.

I get tossed between two materials, wood or metal so I split my section of my workspace into half woodworking and other half metalworking.

I would have loved to vent my dust collector outside or have the storage bin and motor outside to cut down on noise but my workshop is actually underground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts