Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I tinker a LOT with CNC routers and have just finished my latest creation - an Automatic Tool Changing System that uses a 2.2kW 24,000 RPM collet type spindle that many people use. To share information about this, I created and am creating a series of videos covering the various aspects of this system and would like to share them with you. This system is designed around PCB Isolation milling using the associated 1/8" shank tools.

Here are some links to some of the videos...
Introduction - overview
Lengthy demo video showing it running an actual program
Narrated explanation of the Magazine component

In the coming weeks/months I will be posting additional videos covering more about this tool change system, the CNC router, and the recent re-control from MACH 3 to Centroid Acorn.

Also, there are a lot of woodworking videos on that site as well that you may find interesting.

Hope you enjoy the videos.

Sincerely,

Chris D

·
Registered
Mike
3,790 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums Chris. Thank you for sharing this with the forum members. That looks like a neat idea for those people that like to build things that help workflow in the shop. I'll have to put that on my list that I'd like to make.

I also looked at your video list and I'm sure others would be interested in some of the projects you have made.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Nicely done Chris D. At one time I pursued adding a tool changer for my Probotix CNC. Got the software end in LunixCNC figured out. Probotix already had a bit touch off to zero the Z level for each bit number. I couldn't find an "affordable" tool changing spindle, so was working on dropping off and picking up separate trim routers for each tool number. Got busy and let the project park but now Probotix offer a tool changer option for their new CNCs.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,534 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chris.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the very warm welcome and kind words!

I posted this an another woodworking forum and got blasted.

Thanks for reminding me that there are still gentlemen in the world! That encourages me to continue to share what little knowledge I have.

Chris D

·
Registered
166 Posts
WOW, what a project. you are very multi-talented. it takes knowledge in several disciplines to accomplish that project - and succesfully!!! mechanical, fluid power (air), electronic, and software/macro's. kudo's!

thanks for sharing. i particularly like how you tighten and loosen the collet/nuts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW, what a project. you are very multi-talented. it takes knowledge in several disciplines to accomplish that project - and succesfully!!! mechanical, fluid power (air), electronic, and software/macro's. kudo's!

thanks for sharing. i particularly like how you tighten and loosen the collet/nuts.
Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for the very kind words, I really appreciate that!
I am fortunate in that I have a lot of experience in all those disciplines and you are right, I needed to utilize all that experience to make this thing happen.

Thank you again for the kind words, it helps motivate me to make crazy things and share them.

Chris D.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Again Chris, nice design. i like how you eliminated the "electrical switch" typically used for spring loaded height sensors. switches bring a whole new set of issues to the height readings... repeatability etc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts